Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received and installed an Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau Cover on my new Frontier LE. Unit shipped faster than expected from AutoAnything.

Comes with supplemental instructions and clamps for our trucks which allow this cover to be used without interfering with the UtiliTrac tracks. General installation instructions were good, but supplemental instructions were vague (but easy to figure out once you do it). No cutting or drilling is necessary. Overall, a very easy install!

I was debating whether nor not to get the standard or Signature finish. The Signature finish is black canvas (over the waterproof vinyl). I think it's a classy look, but I fear it will be more difficult to keep clean than the bare vinyl. I'll report back with more info once I get some miles on it!!

Attachments

· Registered
1,515 Posts
Looks really good. It gives it a clean look.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does yours touch the cab?
Yes, barely. There is some leeway in the exact positioning of the cover. Obviously side to side is very flexible - there is a rubber gasket there that sits on the bed rail caps. On the cab's edge, however, the gasket is set back - it doesn’t sit on the tiny strip of metal there, but rather up against it.

Do you have a particular reason for asking?

· Registered
582 Posts
I have the same cover on my LE for 2.5 years now and still looks new. I just wash mine with car soap that I wash my truck with. Mine sits close to the cab and when I first got it sat up against the cab and rubbed the paint off so be careful. I'm very pleased with mine and would buy one again if I had to.

· Registered
17 Posts
Yes, barely. There is some leeway in the exact positioning of the cover. Obviously side to side is very flexible - there is a rubber gasket there that sits on the bed rail caps. On the cab's edge, however, the gasket is set back - it doesn’t sit on the tiny strip of metal there, but rather up against it.

Do you have a particular reason for asking?
Just that mine had to be moved back a bit to keep it from rubbing the cab.

· Registered
75 Posts
Just received and installed an Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau Cover on my new Frontier LE. Unit shipped faster than expected from AutoAnything.

Comes with supplemental instructions and clamps for our trucks which allow this cover to be used without interfering with the UtiliTrac tracks. General installation instructions were good, but supplemental instructions were vague (but easy to figure out once you do it). No cutting or drilling is necessary. Overall, a very easy install!

I was debating whether nor not to get the standard or Signature finish. The Signature finish is black canvas (over the waterproof vinyl). I think it's a classy look, but I fear it will be more difficult to keep clean than the bare vinyl. I'll report back with more info once I get some miles on it!!
Now that you got some miles on it, how is it holding up? Is the black canvas still looking as good as the pics? Easy to clean?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that you got some miles on it, how is it holding up? Is the black canvas still looking as good as the pics? Easy to clean?
I have had one issue with the cover. Please see this post for details: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f10/great-extang-customer-service-65853/

Besides that, which I'll call an anomaly, the cover has been great. Canvas has help up fine and is actually extremely easy to keep clean. Water proofness I'd rate at 90% - With extremely hard, driving rain some moisture will creep in under the cover (not through the material, but where it sits on bed rails).

I'm sure there are other great bed covers available, but would definitely buy this one again.

· Registered
23 Posts
I know... I know... holy old thread, batman. I need some help. I bought a used Trifecta and ordered the extra hardware from Xtang. The extra parts didn't come with instructions and I jave no idea how to assemble them. Can you post a pic of the clamps?

· Registered
121 Posts
I know... I know... holy old thread, batman. I need some help. I bought a used Trifecta and ordered the extra hardware from Xtang. The extra parts didn't come with instructions and I jave no idea how to assemble them. Can you post a pic of the clamps?
It was still dark when I got to the train station this morning.
Maybe I can do it later, unless someone else gets it first.

-Mario

· Registered
277 Posts
Just installed this cover and I'm curious about something. I made sure to leave a small gap between the cab and the cover. However there is a small gap between the cover and the actual inside of the bed. I know it will never be water tight, just curious if anyone did anything to fill this gap. It's roughly a 1/8"-1"4 gap.

· Registered
121 Posts
Two things.
Keep a good gap because the twisting motion of the bed will cause the Trifecta to hit and run paint off the cab. 1/4 inch anyway.

Second, when you order the Trifecta from them direct, they usually include a peal and stick foam seal to keep that water tight. If you didn't get one, you can order it separate, but it wasn't cheap from what I recall. Mine came with it in a separate box as a special.

You can get something similar from home depot or Lowe's in the weatherproof section.

That being said, even without two foam seal, I never has water in the bed.

· Registered
277 Posts
Two things.
Keep a good gap because the twisting motion of the bed will cause the Trifecta to hit and run paint off the cab. 1/4 inch anyway.

Second, when you order the Trifecta from them direct, they usually include a peal and stick foam seal to keep that water tight. If you didn't get one, you can order it separate, but it wasn't cheap from what I recall. Mine came with it in a separate box as a special.

You can get something similar from home depot or Lowe's in the weatherproof section.

That being said, even without two foam seal, I never has water in the bed.

Good to know. I did get the foam roll, but did not install it. I will do that I guess.
Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.