Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you crank the torsion bars for lift? how much is too much cranking? this is my first 4X4. just looking for a little lift. i think i'm gonna take my mudflap things off tomorrow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cranking your torsion bars will increase the angle between your upper and lower control arms, and give you increased lift. Tighten the adjusting nut that connects to the adjuster arm to accomplish this. Mine took about 12 turns to get the 2" of lift that I initially had. While this is a great way to get extra lift at no cost, be aware that it will wear your t-bars out prematurely. No big worries though, I did mine about 75,000 miles ago and just last weekend reindexed them to regain my lift. Have fun!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you add bigger tires, or still running stock size? I'm wanting to make room for 31's as cheaply as possible. I have an '04 4X4 crew cab if that helps you any.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm still trying to wear out my tires, they are my second set, but original 225/70r15 size. I have approximately 4" above the tire in my wheel well though. 31's would be about 3" bigger in diameter, so they'd eat up 1 1/2" of that, so I don't think they would be a problem at all to run.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've upgraded to 30" tires now. With the old flares, I would not have been able to fit 31's, however, with the larger V6 flares, I could without a problem. They don't stick as far into the wheel well and I gained about 1" of gap in front and behind the front tires.

D

·
0 Posts
05+ do not have torsion bars. I believe they stopped that type of suspension in 04. We now have struts, a shock and coil spring combo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Torsion bar

In the Asia they still make the old body model along with the new one. I have a -06 and it's exactly like an -04 with the torsion bars. They sell them all over Europe as late as -07. Iv'e fitted 32" with a 2" crank and a bit of plastic cutting in the wheelwells. If you cut away some sheet metal behind the tire, you can problably fit 33x12.5's with a 2" lift or even 255/85-16. It's mostly width that causes rubbing. 4X4 (old model) comes stock with 28's - 31's.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I got about 3" of lift up front with my torsion bars.. and i removed mud flaps, and did minor cutting with drimmel and ran 33x12.50's on 15x10 rims for a short while... only rubbed at full turn, which could have been fixed with just a little more time on the drimmel.... They stuck out a solid 3" or more past the fender flares...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts