Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: So for all the folks coming in here, my torsion bars were actually not installed correctly from the shop. I had adjusted them at home but found it strange so I posted here. I took the truck to another shop and the bars were properly indexed and the bolts were adjusted properly. On a NORMAL truck where you have not modified your torsion bars yet, you can just loosen the top nut (the adjuster nut) and then turn the bolt clockwise to rise the truck.

Got a couple questions. Just did a 2" body lift and 3" suspension lift with new torsion bars.

It is normal for the adjustment bolt to go longer on the passenger side than driver's? Does the passenger require more adjustment to get the truck level? My passenger is out about two times as much as the drivers, but the truck is more or less level.

How much adjustment is "too much", or "too tight" for the bars?

I have a front rake. The front is about 1-2" shorter than the rear. I have tried to adjust the bars but can only get the rake. From ground to start of fender flare I have ~35" up and ~38" in the rear. Am I adjusting wrong?

·
Registered
194 Posts
1/2" bumpstop gap is the max I've seen recommended. Anything more than that will be a really rough ride.

If you keep cranking them and it still doesn't lift the front your t-bars may have to be re-indexed. Which I believe involves removing and re-installing them.

·
Super Moderator
3,686 Posts
You're not supposed to measure at the fender. You are supposed to measure at inboard and outboard points on each lower control arm to the ground, subtract to find the difference and compare it to the specification. This is the proper way to measure ride height. Once the ride height is in spec, then a wheel alignment should be performed to adjust the camber/caster as needed. Anytime you change the ride height via the torsion bars, it changes the camber of the front wheels. I would suggest you refer to the factory service manual for a picture of the points of measurement and the specifications for your truck. A "proper" wheel alignment would normally include adjusting the ride height, but finding a reputable shop that will actually do it during an alignment without telling them to do it or without being charged extra is a another thing! You "could" measure height at the fender, but who is to say that your measurements are perfectly even between the body and the frame/suspension on each side? If the cab mounts are a little more compressed on one side of the other, it will throw off your ride height measurement, which is why the measurements are done at the suspension. Now, whether your torsion bars are properly indexed, I can't tell you without having been there during the installation. The torsion bars "should" have come with instructions on how to properly install them or the factory service manual should have been referred to.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I drove the truck onto a level surface and redid my measurements. Truck level at the front and back but I still have some rake, but I'm ok with it. Taking it to get a good alignment next.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts