Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished with my "Y" pipe install. Decent mod, but I would not have done this unless I needed to get other sections of the exhaust worked. Went with the 2" in and 2.5" out as members here have reccomended.

Way quicker throttle responds, and a few more ponies. The best thing is my good MPGs are back.

Detailed write up with pics here.

Bill in Tahoe: Nissan Frontier - Exhaust "Y" Pipe Mod

·
Registered
578 Posts
koolio

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sound is about the same at idle. At WOT at higher PRMS deffinatly a bit louder. But I also have an air box mod, which I had closed down when things weren't running right. After a short test run withe the new Y I pulled the plate off and opened the airbox back up. So the sound is a combo of the two mods.

For all purposes you should consider the sound to remain the same after this mod.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure i got a real total MPG increase, more of a mpg recovery after my crushed exhaust incident. I use to get about 20, then around 18.5. I have not had this mod long enough to run a few tanks of gas through.

On my daily commute home there is a section of road way that is about 10 miles long and has a total elevation drop of about 300feet. Speeds are about 55mph wiht only one stop light that is ususally green. I would reset the MPG meter on the computer at the begining of this segment everytime I drove it a few days before I did the mod. This was before the Y with bad exhaust. I was getting about 25mpg. Now I ma getting 28. This is not a very REAL world gauge of mpg cause I am barley on the gas. But it shows a consistant increase.

Bottom line is that I am hoping I can get back to my 20mpg average per tank running my local mountain roads without going off the mountain adn back up. If I got to 20.5 I'd be really stoked.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would you modify the y-pipe if you were not already there to fix your exhaust problems. In other words would this be beneficial for someone with no exhaust problems.

sorry, i just re-read your post...you say you wouldnt have done this if not already there to make changes. sorry

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean if you have money to burn and are really bored then go for it. The benis are not really worth it though IMO. Instead you should get a new exhaust with a new Y pipe if you really wanted performance.

I guess you might go for this mod if you wanted to squeze out a little more performance but keep the stock quiteness of the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.