Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Okie said he has resonators on his truck, figured maybe others do too. Could someone please explain exactly what it is and how it works....and cost if you know.

I have a 40 series flowmaster setup on my 06 frontier and it sounds pretty good outside, its just a little louder inside the cab than I would like. I know they said the resonator helps with noise, but does it affect the tail pipe sound as well?

P.S.- If anyone lives around Huntsville, AL....Worth Exhaust is a great place to have a flowmaster dual system installed. I am very happy with mine and the quality is outstanding. $260 including 3"x12" chrome tips

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
BudrBean,

Kinney's Muffler Shop called mine pre resonators whatever that means. I was told
they would not restrict the gas flow as they were straight through, but it would cut
down on the raspiness of my muffler which it did.

I was lucky in that they just threw the pre resonators in for free since they had never done that before on a Frontier and they wanted to make a sound clip of it. I think they
were somewhere between $30 and $50 a piece if my tired old mind remembers correctly.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
BudrBean,

It is sort of hard for me to explain. If you are old enough to remember the old Belond
glasspack mufflers they had a nice mellow sound. The steel pack mufflers were usually louder depending on length and had a harsher more metallic sound to them.
It is this sharper metallic sound that I am referring to as raspiness.

If you have listened to some of the exhaust sound clips on the forums you will hear what I am talking about, sort of a snap when you let off the gas instead of a more
mellow burble.

I apologize for not being able to put what my ears hear into words.

OkieScot

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that you say that, I do remember seeing something welded inline on the stock exhaust. Wish I knew what it was so Id save some money now

·
Registered
492 Posts

Here is the Gibson version of a resonator. After the Y pipe and before the muffler

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter where it goes since Gibson puts it in front of the muffler and the factory puts it behind the muffler.When they first put the 3.5 in the Pathfinder it had one at the end of the tail pipe.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
BudrBean,

I live pretty close to Huntsville. Any pics of your duals.

Would like to see how they routed it around the gas tank/spare tire and where it comes out if you did the duals that way. I believe I would want it to come out on the left side like the stock tip comes out of the right. Did see a Fronty on another site that had duals out the back that looked real nice.

My experience with Flowmasters (have one on my Jeep) that they get louder over time, really loud in the cab now but it's been on for 4 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts