Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after many hours filled with Google research i'm begining to believe that nobody makes headers for the Supercharged 1st gens, Every header that i've come across says "Non-Supercharged Only" somewhere in writing on the page. Please correct me if i'm wrong or tell me where i can find the S/C headers or if the Non-S/C ones will work. Also what size piping should i go with for optimal backpressure? 3"? 2 3/4"? As of now still only boosting the stock 7psi, will be installing my pulley very soon, will be boostin 10-12 psi depending on what size pulley i have. The pulley came with my truck (not installed) when i bought it, also i don't have calipers to measure the size. I attend Tech School for Auto Mechanics so i can do all my work there. Please tell me what you think.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I think superchargers need the backpressure, so stay away from headers. Same w/the pully. 7psi is plenty for these engines, but I was young once, too. :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think superchargers need the backpressure, so stay away from headers. Same w/the pully. 7psi is plenty for these engines, but I was young once, too. :)
No SC ever needs backpressure. However the boost pressure and heat buildup from the intake charge compression needs to be controlled to prevent detonation. Also, depending on the boost level you will have to run premium, etc.

Back pressure is not good in an exhaust system. Engines are air pumps, big cmpressors but with the additional energy / pressure from a fuel source. You do not want backpressure. The more effective / efficient it is at "pumping air" the better it will perform.

·
Registered
833 Posts
No SC ever needs backpressure. However the boost pressure and heat buildup from the intake charge compression needs to be controlled to prevent detonation. Also, depending on the boost level you will have to run premium, etc.

Back pressure is not good in an exhaust system. Engines are air pumps, big cmpressors but with the additional energy / pressure from a fuel source. You do not want backpressure. The more effective / efficient it is at "pumping air" the better it will perform.
Agreed, with supers and turbos your dumping in as much air as possible through the system, you HAVE to have a free flowing exhaust in order for the system to work consistently and optimally... ever see how big the drainpipes get on the turbodiesels these days? And they use a LOT of air

Only time backpressure will work for you is in the lower RPMs, thats why most of us lose a bit in the lower end when we start putting in custom dual backs or 3" pipes

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright guys thanks. I understand how an engine works and how its basicly an "air pump". Its just that not all engine function the same once they get further from stock. With the S/C basicly compressing large amounts of air I know that the more that exits the engine the power can be obtained. But also you can have "too large" of an exhaust system and it won't finction as effiicient as could be. I just wanted to hear what size other people were runnin and what they found to work better. Its seems like there is only a smal few of us that have the S/C 1st gens that are tuning them. (engine wise) there are some pretty "beefed" out rigs out there but we're all doing different things with our trucks. Big up to roast and my half-way shout out. And Nat+ Pen's 1st gens for insperation and info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts