Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a 2003 Crew Cab v6 (of course) Auto, 4x4, long bed...

I have been debating between the following mufflers, Flowmaster super 44, regular 40 series, 50 series, possibly a 60 series...

As far as an intake, its just going to be the run of the mill Ebay hardpipe chrome one for 70$ shipped with a dryflow filter.

I want a deep and aggressive sound with minimal rice sound at wot high rpm, I do have a 1/8-1/4in line-X bedliner so interior resonance isnt an issue really, the muffler sits right under the bed and I am sure the bedliner will keep a lot of sound out of the cab....

I am not sure where my money is better spent right now, I will install the muffler myself, I have about 100$ to spend right now... Im working through college so the going is rough haha

·
Registered
160 Posts
intake

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
intake first then do your exhaust the super 44 sounds awesome

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Maybe Im just getting old but the 40 and 44s are loud in the cab, Ive had 450 hp chevys with straight pipes out the back and they were not as noisy in the cab as these trucks with a 40 series. But they do sound purty good outside of the truck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my two cents.....04 CC LB V6 SC....

Okay I have a 2003 Crew Cab v6 (of course) Auto, 4x4, long bed...

I have been debating between the following mufflers, Flowmaster super 44, regular 40 series, 50 series, possibly a 60 series...

As far as an intake, its just going to be the run of the mill Ebay hardpipe chrome one for 70$ shipped with a dryflow filter.

I want a deep and aggressive sound with minimal rice sound at wot high rpm, I do have a 1/8-1/4in line-X bedliner so interior resonance isnt an issue really, the muffler sits right under the bed and I am sure the bedliner will keep a lot of sound out of the cab....

I am not sure where my money is better spent right now, I will install the muffler myself, I have about 100$ to spend right now... Im working through college so the going is rough haha

i did a mod on air box, so intake would be a yes, i also CUT OUT the two secondary cats and had this exhaust installed....

NISSAN FRONTIER CREW CAB LONG BED EXHAUST SYSTEM NEW: eBay Motors (item 380140072523 end time Aug-10-10 12:40:55 PDT)

i live in mass and yes i passed my inspection.

i paid 300. plus shipping. over all, from the data i have seen, i believe that if i drive the speed limit(55), stayed off the supercharger and carried no load, i could get close to 20mpgs if not more.

i also recently did the timing belt and f-d around with the distributer.

so intake and exhaust and timing belt (115k miles), made a difference for sure.

sorry, i didnt read the 100 dollar limit.
for a hundred bucks the one mod you do probably wont show that much improvement to notice. the combination of a few certainly will as i have seen it. driving habits are the cheapest to change and can show significant results, i.e. lower speed limits, less foot on throttle and drafting(safely).

although they are the hardest to change.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
hmmm

Maybe Im just getting old but the 40 and 44s are loud in the cab, Ive had 450 hp chevys with straight pipes out the back and they were not as noisy in the cab as these trucks with a 40 series. But they do sound purty good outside of the truck.
the exhaust i put on is loud in cab as well. more so at different loads. seems like these cabs aren't too sound proof in or out....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! I did the normal intake mod and took out the inner fender baffle, WOW i cant beleive this thing could breathe before!!!

I am planning to cut off the secondary cats and sell them for scrap, then do a flowmaster super 44...

I want to do 2.5in all the way from the 1st cats back... I think that would sound deep and agressive.... ( it will sound very good in a light to mid accel....)

With the intake mod alone it sounds a nice amount throatier around 2k wot.... For sure.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Sweet! I did the normal intake mod and took out the inner fender baffle, WOW i cant beleive this thing could breathe before!!!

I am planning to cut off the secondary cats and sell them for scrap, then do a flowmaster super 44...

I want to do 2.5in all the way from the 1st cats back... I think that would sound deep and agressive.... ( it will sound very good in a light to mid accel....)

With the intake mod alone it sounds a nice amount throatier around 2k wot.... For sure.
leave your cats alone. you have no good reason to remove them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
houdini what exhaust setup are you running, its sounds amazing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
leave your cats alone. you have no good reason to remove them.
or... just punch the catylitic material out and you have a "sleeper" cat!! lol in my mind it would seem better to have less back pressure.

Also, with a n/a v6 you could probaly run a 3 in pipe w/ flowmaster super 44's and it would sound like a low rumbled v8 until about 4500 rpm(just a guess, dont hold me too it).

·
Registered
20 Posts

I keep reading about this mod. Sounds like you noticed a big difference. Would you please let me know witch thread you used to do this mod. Also are you still getting the intake aven after the mod? Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, I might get a K&N filter later on, there isnt a whole lot gained from the intake, But Its worth it for 3$ is test caps....

Search for intake on the 1st gen section, its basically remove 3 baffles, and cap off two pipes..... One of the baffles in in the inner fender and it has a stud and a rubber grommet that u just pull out... It took me maybe 30 minutes to do.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
houdini what exhaust setup are you running, its sounds amazing.
k&n intake
2.25 (IIRC) mandrel bent from the primary cats back through a flowmaster 40.

now, i did do the 2nd cat delete, but it was out of neccesity, not for sound or performance. honestly, no performance gain at all with that mod i don't think. the mandrel bent tube and muffler had already gotten the exhaust freed up enough and highway passing power was much improved.

i have problems every year with inspections due to the 2nd cat delete and honestly, it just not something i would do again. instead...i'd just move the cats or go to a high flow cat and put it in a better place. i just had no room for the 2nd cats with the front axle swap and how everything is placed and moves with the suspension.

or... just punch the catylitic material out and you have a "sleeper" cat!! lol in my mind it would seem better to have less back pressure.

Also, with a n/a v6 you could probaly run a 3 in pipe w/ flowmaster super 44's and it would sound like a low rumbled v8 until about 4500 rpm(just a guess, dont hold me too it).
i really really think you would lose power witih that open of an exhaust system.

i will tell you i have broken many manifolds on my truck due to the front DS hitting the 2nd cats when offroad and each time....i lose much horsepower. engines need back pressure!

07fronty borrowed my truck one weekend to take his family out on the trails and he broke the driver side manifold in 2 complete pieces. you can ask him....not only was it annoyingly loud, but the 100 mile ride home for him took him forever. hard to even reach highway speeds with the lack of power and gas milage was probably close to 3-4mpgs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts