Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The DS exhaust manifold on my Pro4x just broke. The weld on the flange at the cat failed. It broke clean off! My wife was driving the truck, said she hear a pop. There is no damage in the area what so ever. Anyone else have this happen to them? That weld should have out lasted the truck! Hope the passenger side manifold doesnt break too, I read that one might require the motor to be pulled.

I have contacted Nissan even though my truck is out of warranty. Nissan told me I had to take it to the dealer to be inspected but I did not have the time or want to drive it any further. Hopefully after I get some pictures they will reimburse me for the part. You can see that the weld did not penetrate the metal nearly enough to hold. The welder that day must have been hung over!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It happened to me around 61k miles. The driver side manifold cracked right at the flange of the manifold that connects to the catalytic converter. I just bought a replacement manifold from rock auto and replaced it myself. 140 dollars for the manifold and new gasket. The job is pretty straightforward. If the passenger side ever goes, I am going to some aftermarket headers.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Should be covered by emissions warranty. Unless you are over in time or miles. I think the emissions warranty is 80k?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Yes, see if this falls under the federal emissions warranty, which supersedes any dealer warranty.

If not, maybe a shop can weld it for you. My daughter had an exhaust manifold break on her '98 Pathfinder and had it welded to fix for $25 at a muffler shop.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
You don't need to pull the engine, especially on the driver's side. There is plenty of access by removing the plastic wheel liner. The shield can be barely squeezed up to the top. The passenger side's issue is the heat shield, which is, in my experience, impossible to remove in one piece and undamaged unless the engine is lifted up. Plug, the bolts that hold the shield on always break. I replaced the manifolds on my 06 Pathy with Doug Thorley shortie headers. No shields required on them; I cut the passenger side heat shield into three pieces and removed them and didn't have to lift the engine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This just happened to me yesterday too. This thread isn't that old so I'd thought I'd add to it. So yesterday the truck started just fine ran well for a couple minutes then all of a sudden huge exhaust leak. I limped it home and saw this after it cooled down.

http://s153.photobucket.com/user/nicksgts/media/2013 Frontier/CA296DB5-0C26-4413-8472-F411AFCEF97A_zpsosweobnl.mp4.html

I'll contact on if my local dealers and get the ball rolling.

Update: dropped the truck off at my local dealer and they are replacing the driver side exhaust manifold under warranty. Don't have any other details at this time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You don't need to pull the engine, especially on the driver's side. There is plenty of access by removing the plastic wheel liner. The shield can be barely squeezed up to the top. The passenger side's issue is the heat shield, which is, in my experience, impossible to remove in one piece and undamaged unless the engine is lifted up. Plug, the bolts that hold the shield on always break. I replaced the manifolds on my 06 Pathy with Doug Thorley shortie headers. No shields required on them; I cut the passenger side heat shield into three pieces and removed them and didn't have to lift the engine.
After you cut the heat shield, was it difficult to remove the manifold ? I've been yanking my hair out for a couple hours on this one ...thanks in advance for any assistance you can give

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
No, with the shield out of the way, front pipe (or, post catalyst, if you prefer) out of the way and the manifold nuts removed, it came right out the bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts