Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Frontier V6 - Crew cab

Several months back I had the muffler replaced and was informed I had a big leak at the exhaust manifold.
I do, and it is noisy. I was quoted about $450 for the repair + $80 for each bolt that needed to be re-tapped.

I hooked my shop vac to my exhaust and blew air up the exhaust to locate the leak. I couldn't find it, but could hear and feel the air.

Is this a repair I could attempt? I'm an okay DIYer, but not a mechanic.
Is $450 too high for this?

Also I can't find any videos on this problem. Any suggestions?
EDIT: Found a good video when looking for Xterra.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
The exhaust manifold is a iron casting.
It can be welded but you’ll need to preheat with a torch or in an oven.
It can be brazed I do believe.
Better check with a good welder.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
When you hav the shop vac going spray some soapy water and look for bubbles. It is possible for you to attempt this Depending on your comfort level. I would find the leak first and start spraying the nuts and threads with a penetrating spray. You could also get another quote from another shop.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Spray the nuts with penetrating oil over night. For the tough ones you can use a MAP gas torch to heat the nuts up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You didn't mention which side. The right side manifolds are known to break, if it is broken welding will not fix it. On the bright side if it is the right side and your power steering pump has leaked and soaked the right side it should come right off without much hassle except for the bolts at the manifold and cat. I had to use my 1/2 inch impact and just snap those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts