Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the AFE catback a month or so ago and like many have complained about, experienced a fair amount of drone. I enjoyed the sound, volume, and build quality but was getting overwhelmed by drone at interstate speeds 70-80mph. Remembering the factory exhaust had dampers, I began looking for replacements I could retrofit. I saw that the Ford Mustang V6 dampers could easily be connected to the B pipe studs and other places downstream so I ordered 3. It wasn’t a complete elimination of drone but a very dramatic one as well as taming Nearly all of the vibration that Accompanied the new exhaust. It wasn’t cheap and ordering from Ford Parts Giant was NOT a good experience but I am pleased with the result and not longer dreading the 1,000 mile round trip I have next week. YMMV but it’s an apt ion for those of you suffering from drone.
80EFEADC-C2E0-41CB-8E48-70B3F1B06813.jpeg

Driver side Cat
757AA049-27AF-4968-926B-FD96D0EEACE3.jpeg

Passenger side Cat
6F1BB60E-026F-4597-95DA-E37211CF7D84.jpeg

muffler to tailpipe connection.

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
115 Posts
I installed the AFE catback a month or so ago and like many have complained about, experienced a fair amount of drone. I enjoyed the sound, volume, and build quality but was getting overwhelmed by drone at interstate speeds 70-80mph. Remembering the factory exhaust had dampers, I began looking for replacements I could retrofit. I saw that the Ford Mustang V6 dampers could easily be connected to the B pipe studs and other places downstream so I ordered 3. It wasn’t a complete elimination of drone but a very dramatic one as well as taming Nearly all of the vibration that Accompanied the new exhaust. It wasn’t cheap and ordering from Ford Parts Giant was NOT a good experience but I am pleased with the result and not longer dreading the 1,000 mile round trip I have next week. YMMV but it’s an apt ion for those of you suffering from drone.
View attachment 318080
Driver side Cat
View attachment 318081
Passenger side Cat
View attachment 318082
muffler to tailpipe connection.
What about one on the tailpipe like stock?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never went that far downstream. Had I known, I would have saved the factory dampeners because getting them aftermarket wasn’t cheap.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,030 Posts
so its just a weight that bolts to the exhaust? I see the pics but I don't understand how they help droning if they are not actually part of the exhaust stream?

you guys are about to teach me something

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weight but also a vibration dampening rubber component. You can slightly wiggle the rubber portion of at least the ones I added later. I do not recall the exact properties of the factory ones.

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
DO you have a part # and or what year range these came on? if it's "v6 mustang" there is a chance there are millions of these in junkyards for pennies on the dollar.

is there a dorman part # for these? They are also normally pennies on the dollar over OEM.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
so its just a weight that bolts to the exhaust? I see the pics but I don't understand how they help droning if they are not actually part of the exhaust stream?

you guys are about to teach me something
im right there with you... i don't see/get how this would would with the exhaust if its not going through it

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
im right there with you... i don't see/get how this would would with the exhaust if its not going through it
The drone is a vibration. By adding mass you are able to pull down some of the vibration and changing how the drone might happen. This is no different then adding some dynamat to the inside of your cab. Same principal. Is it a cure all? No. Can it help? Probably.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,030 Posts
I thought the exhaust drone was caused by the sound? not by the part vibrating? I understand how a vibration can cause noise but I thought we were talking about exhaust drone, like in the cabin from the exhaust being changed and there not being a silencer or some other part in the system now?

·
Registered
Great truck
1,030 Posts
I have seen those weird deals on newer car exhausts at the junkyard though. I didn't know what they were

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
I thought the exhaust drone was caused by the sound? not by the part vibrating? I understand how a vibration can cause noise but I thought we were talking about exhaust drone, like in the cabin from the exhaust being changed and there not being a silencer or some other part in the system now?
A muffler / resonator is doing the same thing. Absorbing and or using sound waves to cancel out noise/vibrations. It's all related.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Drone is resonance...a frequency range that resonates in the cab. The fact that our more than halfway decent stock/factory exhaust uses these dampeners surely must tell us something about how the engineers went about quelling the harsh, raspy notes that our VQ40 V6s are known for. Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic.
As pieced together as the hodge-podge factory exhaust appears, I'm surprised it works as well as it does, TBH.

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
115 Posts
Im keeping an eye on this, as, for several reasons, I am going to end up with a replacement cat-back sooner than later, and I am not springing for OEM.
The Borla on my Tacoma sounds good, isnt loud, ZERO drone.
I love the thought of the AFE high-tuck, but, dont want crazy loud(Mass inspection for now), and definitley dont want drove. There are at least a couple 5k round trips in my future...
The IF, I am correct, the Borla for our trucks, does NOTHING for the Y pipe, plus, it hangs low...

·
Registered
379 Posts
There are already 2 on my stock system (2019)...I had thought about transferring those or..does anyone remember the stainless steel braided connectors on exhaust systems ? Why wouldn't those combat some of the vibration while reducing the possibility of cracking ? Thoughts please ?

Bob

Reactions: busemans

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
There are already 2 on my stock system (2019)...I had thought about transferring those or..does anyone remember the stainless steel braided connectors on exhaust systems ? Why wouldn't those combat some of the vibration while reducing the possibility of cracking ? Thoughts please ?

Bob
Yep, those flex joints can serve a decent purpose for sure.

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
115 Posts

Bob
Flex joints are just to allow flex.
They solid underneath the metal braiding. Actually corrugated steel or stainless. So, they would still transmit harmonics.

The weights should act to dampen that, by adding mass in certain areas, and changing the resonance frequency.

Personally, Id love to have the high tuck AFE, with the tone(and lack of drone) of a Borla. On my Tacoma, I ended up with a borla, and I can remove the tailpipe in about 15 minutes, and have tons of clearance out back... Not sure if that is the case with the Borla for the Frontier....
Plus, I dont think the Borla has a Y Pipe?

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
Borla system is Y-pipe back, not cat-back. IOW, it retains the factory Y-pipe...though it could semi-easily be swapped.

Reactions: bearman1216

·
Registered
2016 Pro4x 6mt
115 Posts
Yeah, that is what I thought.
Im going to have to do something at some point... but, long highway trips with a 6spd and drone will get old FAST, especially if I have my enclosed behind it...

Was looking at adding a stainless Y Pipe to the Borla system, but, I would still want to experiment with the tail pipe to get it tucked up out of the way....

I need to see one up close and see if it is an issue honestly...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts