Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have not but my brother did. He had a mid-90s Grand Am ( 1994 I believe ) that had to be the hangover Tuesday car after a long weekend of major major Budweiser & Patron consumption. I couldn't even begin to list all the items that failed on that raging turd but after having been through my two cousins ( one knew pretty much about keeping up on maintenance, the other thought he did ) and then a mutual family friend ( who also fancied himself a "mechanic" ) I would have taken a hard pass on that steaming dungheap, but he didn't. At least the body and paint were real clean. As I recall, he had water pump, power steering, brake lines rust through, myriad and varied brake issues ( calipres mostly ), intake manifold gaskets, random electrical glitches and who knows what else. Also seem to recall that squirrels chewed through one of the fuel lines. He should have just lit a match.

And humorously my 1992 GP 3400 DOHC which is reputed to be one of the worst vehicles ever produced by GM, has had 1/10th the expenses in 27 yrs and 188k. Second water pump, second timing belt ( due again now for age ), fourth power steering pump ( that's what I get for cheap remans ) and third clutch ( just wear items ). Its my weekend toy now and drives really well. Interior all OEM, exterior repainted, never any rust, body panel repairs or replacements. The only wear that showed at 82k was the driver's seat, I think the first owner may have been single and the passenger's and rear seats had never actually been used. They were absolutely pristine, as they still are today. Lived its entire life in PA until 2008 and was my DD. Hence 188k miles. LOL funny fun fact, this engine has McLaren cylinder heads and a timing belt and chain. Yes, that's right, two-stage cam drive. Never seen anything anywhere else like it. GM engineering at its finest, it started life as the 2.8L pushrod V6 in 1980 Chevrolet Citations.
is that a stock rear spoiler?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
LOL, Rob, it is not by any means. I put that on about 20 yrs ago and have had more grief than compliments about how I "Fat and Furious'd" my GP. Had I to do over again, I would not but things you did in your 30s aren't often as cool when you're in your 50s. Now I'd go with a low profile two leg or lip spoiler, but this one is drilled into the decklid in 6 places so I'd have to have all the holes welded up then the decklid reshot in Mitsubishi Blue, which is what this colour is, very very close to the OEM GM colour but with much more metalflake in it. Its looks great out in the sun when it's clean.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bought an '08 Elantra new in July of that year. Had it about two weeks before some bozo ran me off the road - fortunately no damage. Didn't even have the first oil change done yet and somebody drug a trailer down the driver's side and took off. Had to replace the driver's front fender and both driver's side doors because they were too badly creased to repair. The shop did a horrible job on the paint, and after multiple times of making them correct flaws I finally gave up. Over the ten years I owned it I had the windshield replaced at least half a dozen times, had a large rock put a dent in the roof, and a semi flipped up a large piece of metal that put a 12" dent in the passenger front window and took off the passenger door mirror. I replaced the mirror, but by that point I didn't really care about how it looked anymore...the fender is probably still dented.:D

I traded the Elantra in on the Frontier on New Year's Eve. It was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned - 160k miles on it and all I ever did was routine maintenance and replaced the timing belt twice ($80 worth of parts and a couple hours of my time). My parents have a '10 Elantra with 290k miles on it and have had the same luck mechanically, and slightly better cosmetically (one deer hit and a couple windshields). I'll be satisfied if the Frontier is anywhere close to as reliable as the Hyundais, and I'll be overjoyed if I can avoid all the other issues this time around!

Prior to the Hyundai, I bought a '98 Jeep Wrangler new. Had quite a few issues with it: excessive pinging/spark knock (dealership never figured it out), severe misfire at cold start (first dealer couldn't figure it out, second found a bad plug wire - amazing what you can find when you do more than scan for codes), clutch slave cylinder blew out, water leaks, and a handful of other small but annoying issues. But, it was by far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned, even in stock form, and once I had made a ton of mods it was more capable than I ever imagined possible.
I bought a 2000 Elantra stick new in late '99. I drove that thing HARD for 200k miles in ten years, and I literally only gave it recommended maintenance, and wear and tear items, that's it. When I sold her she was still in great condition mechanically and cosmetically. I'd bet whoever owns that thing now has damn near 400k on her. Those cars are tough as nails. It had replaced my 93 Hardbody Nissan, which was just as reliable.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Bought a new 2000 Ford Taurus. Beautiful black car with dark grey cloth. That beast was in the shop for DLC's and so many mandatory recalls, I started joking that it spent more time at the dealer than it did in my garage. Not to mention that I was driving in the California mountains regularly at the time and the shift selector only offered "D" or "L" on a 5-speed automatic. Miserable to downshift down a long grade and not be able to select a mid-range gear.

I finally dumped it after a year and traded it on a new 2001 Crown Vic. Dealer did an even trade on it, no money changed hands, because of all the issues I had with the Taurus. The Vic was a Police Interceptor model that had been ordered by the local FBI office supervisor and then cancelled after it was delivered to the dealer's fleet department. It was a great car, handled great and was a "sleeper" car that could blow the doors off almost anything on the road at the time. Loved the car, but traded it for an Escape Hybrid in 2007 when gas in California jumped to almost $5 a gallon.
the Cli-Taurus.... one of the worst cars

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not me...but my best friend so figured i'd contribute.

He purchased a brand new Mazda CX5 a few years back...after driving it off the lot he got rear ended at a stop light. Took it in for repairs - a week or so later when he picked it up he was driving it home and a rock broke his windshield. About 6 months later he was driving down Colorado Blvd around 230am and he got shot INSIDE his vehicle. About a year after that incident he was diagnosed with kidney cancer. After he got out of the hospital he sold the vehicle and nothing has happened since lol
🤯 Holy hell! I'm wondering if I should even be posting a response to this... You don't have any o' that bogus juju goin' on, do ya?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Never a cursed car, but I did own a cursed motorbike that tried to kill the girlfriend and I multiple times.

Front brembo brakes that would have 0 bite on first lever pull, despite being bled on and off the bike. From the top and from the bottom. With the ABS circuits closed and open. Every combination in between. Then a brand new set of calipers, lines, and a new master cylinder, and all that bleeding again. Still upon grabbing the lever it would be soft and sometimes come all the way back to the bar.

Then the wiring to the ignition was intermittent and would cut power. It finally broke and cut power to the bike, at 90MPH in the middle of a corner, while riding two-up, in the middle of a 5 bike group. That was exciting.

Not to mention the headlight stopped working once at night in the fog up in the mountains.

Oh and a rapid deflate rear tire puncture while two up at 75mph. That one was where I was glad to have had some track experience as the rear of the bike wagged back and forth so hard it was almost like having a tank slapper. Kept it upright though. But I'm very certain a little pee came out.

OH. All of this was inside of 14 months of owning the bike, and 8 of which it was in the shop.

The manufacturer was going to replace it via the lemon law but then claimed that my modified exhaust system and shift/brake hand levers (connected to the stock perches) caused all the problems.

·
Registered
783 Posts
... The manufacturer was going to replace it via the lemon law but then claimed that my modified exhaust system and shift/brake hand levers (connected to the stock perches) caused all the problems.
Well, of course they did. The mods & Belzebub. Bikes are allergic to me. Every one of 'em. They fall over on me.

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
My first-run/bought new '83 VW GTI - the original pocket~rocket - had a number of bugaboos. Strangest was a broken motor mount which elicited some really bizarre grounding/electrical issues. It took a sharp dealer mechanic working backwards to figure it all out. Another was when I'd brake, the front parking lights would illuminate. New wiring harness fixed this one. Both of the above covered under warranty.
Wow, that was one fun sports car, though. Unreal handling for its time, but it ate expensive Pirelli P6s for lunch. Of course, I was the one spoon-feeding it w/ my right foot. -heh-

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My 2008 Cooper S Turbo was a DI engine, joint venture between the Germans and the French. That should be a first warning right there.
Turbo oil feed lines had rubber O-Rings that melted & leaked, the HP fuel pump failed ( only 1 of 2 items that they actually warrantied ), the vacuum pump was driven off the back end of the camshaft ( intake I think ) and when it puked, it would take the cam drive w/ it, the cam drives used a chain that was too thin and were endemically breaking or skipping teeth, mine was serviced twice, once under the first owner, complete replacement, and then the hydraulic tensioner again when I owned it.

The variable-drive water pump was prone to fail, and mine did, the thermostats would stick, and they were over $400.00 cause the stat was sealed in this monstrous plastic housing that looked all the world like a Jarvic Artificial Heart and had 5 liquid connections and two electrical connections. Replaced that too. The turbo system had a secondary electric water pump for bearing circulation post-shutdown cool-down cycle with a faulty pump drive electronic controller that was prone to catching fire. And they did. YouTube it and watch the barbecue. That got replaced under warranty, didn't cost me anything.

The DI didn't keep the valves clean and so eventually an intake valve coked and ruined the engine, that was the straw that broke the camel's back and shot him twice in the head. Car's long gone, so are the headaches. BTW BMW blamed the owners for all these headaches, citing "lack of maintenance", "wrong oil" etc to stave off the class-action lawsuits they so richly deserved. The owners manual said nothing but the dealer thought it completely reasonable to have to bring your Cooper in every 40k for a walnut shell blasting of the intake valves to remove all the coke, here's your $550.00 bill, thanks a bunch. My Cruise Turbo had none of these issues. Vaunted German engineering my a$$. Chevrolet did it better.

Only way I'd take a DI engine now is if its a hybrid w/ DI and port injection, only way to keep the valves clean. I religiously SeaFoamed that engine through the PCV hose straight into the intake tract, never anything less than 93Premium, fuel injection cleaner in the tank on a regular schedule, Mobil 1 5w30, great car to drive when it was running, handled like a go-cart w/ a roof, but the engine, tie a chain around it and keep your boat in place. If a Chevy EcoTec 2.0L turbo and six-speed would fit in its place, that'd be the solution. 270HP right out the gate and reliable as the day is long. BMW is off my buy list forever.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
More Impreza fun.

Changed the plugs yesterday. Started with the hardest one, broke free and came out like normal, pretty worn out for an iridium. The other 3 are easy to get at and none of them were tight! Felt like they were done up by hand with an extension and never snugged up, They were the same NGK Iridium plug but less worn. I guess whomever did them last got stuck at the hard one and forgot to snug the rest down? Funny thing is it ran great, it's a little smoother and more responsive now but that's likely just the new plugs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
BMW X5...biggest piece of crap that I have ever owned...by far. Bought it with 42k miles and owned for 15 months until I couldn't take it any more. Sold it with 49k miles. In that time I changed both front axle shafts cuz the boots were all cracking, 3 window regulators, AC compressor, intake boots (cracking, sucking air behind MAF and running rough), pixels in dash display going out and other intermittent electrical gremlins. Just a complete pile of crap.

It's made almost entirely out of plastic...valve cover, drive pulleys, window regulators and other things under the hood that should be metal. German rubber really sucks too cuz everything and anything made out of rubber had cracked. And apparently there is nobody in Germany that understands electricity cuz the entire electrical system was trash.

I hear people tout 'German engineering' as being the best. When I hear German engineering...I think what a complete POS!

·
Registered
nissan frontier 2019
3 Posts
Oh yes, I don’t know if she’s cursed, but 10 minutes after the purchase she became smoky. Problems with the motor, and then the problems did not decrease

·
Banned
219 Posts
one of my 3 Corvairs back in the 60's had a left front ball joint that kept breaking...(3rd time ended the relationship).

21 - 35 of 35 Posts