Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short the car has been started, moved a few feet and shut off a dozen or more times in the past week. This morning I took it to work and it threw a P2097 code "Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Rich Bank 1". Reading into it it's likely a bad upstream AF o2 sensor, not the downstream. Other thought is it's just been run super rich from the brief startups and the code only popped up now after a full warm up. Maybe it'll clear out with some longer drives? Only worry is I could damage the converter if it's running pig rich

Any thoughts? This is the first emmisions issue I've had with any of my vehicles. Unfortunately I don't have a proper code reader with live data and my multimeter is fried so I can't manually test the sensor.

·
Registered
100 Posts
YES! I had a Mazda B2600 5 speed manual with locking 4WD hubs, and manual 4WD shift. It was a DREAM to drive.....if it would start. It had broken Cat's, a fried EGR system (all got deleted) and a clogged Carburetor. needed a new fuel pump, head gasket, cracked head, and mysterious electrical drain problems that made me need a new battery every few months. She was a 2.5 year nightmare! I still wish I had a reliable small truck with a 5 speed manual though, I loved driving it.

And I also had to replace the AC pump, AC line, Radiator, and I seem to recall a water pump also. I did however learn how to work on my own cars!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would guess that those who live in salty moist environments have more issues with electrical systems and sensors than those who live in arid environments.

Your title made me think of a vehicle I owned many years ago that would leak coolant, oil, etc. but then seem to fix itself. If I had a date with some girls it would act up, and the one who became my wife it would purr like a kitten.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have not but my brother did. He had a mid-90s Grand Am ( 1994 I believe ) that had to be the hangover Tuesday car after a long weekend of major major Budweiser & Patron consumption. I couldn't even begin to list all the items that failed on that raging turd but after having been through my two cousins ( one knew pretty much about keeping up on maintenance, the other thought he did ) and then a mutual family friend ( who also fancied himself a "mechanic" ) I would have taken a hard pass on that steaming dungheap, but he didn't. At least the body and paint were real clean. As I recall, he had water pump, power steering, brake lines rust through, myriad and varied brake issues ( calipres mostly ), intake manifold gaskets, random electrical glitches and who knows what else. Also seem to recall that squirrels chewed through one of the fuel lines. He should have just lit a match.

And humorously my 1992 GP 3400 DOHC which is reputed to be one of the worst vehicles ever produced by GM, has had 1/10th the expenses in 27 yrs and 188k. Second water pump, second timing belt ( due again now for age ), fourth power steering pump ( that's what I get for cheap remans ) and third clutch ( just wear items ). Its my weekend toy now and drives really well. Interior all OEM, exterior repainted, never any rust, body panel repairs or replacements. The only wear that showed at 82k was the driver's seat, I think the first owner may have been single and the passenger's and rear seats had never actually been used. They were absolutely pristine, as they still are today. Lived its entire life in PA until 2008 and was my DD. Hence 188k miles. LOL funny fun fact, this engine has McLaren cylinder heads and a timing belt and chain. Yes, that's right, two-stage cam drive. Never seen anything anywhere else like it. GM engineering at its finest, it started life as the 2.8L pushrod V6 in 1980 Chevrolet Citations.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would guess that those who live in salty moist environments have more issues with electrical systems and sensors than those who live in arid environments.

Your title made me think of a vehicle I owned many years ago that would leak coolant, oil, etc. but then seem to fix itself. If I had a date with some girls it would act up, and the one who became my wife it would purr like a kitten.
See, your car knew.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I call it cursed because it goes about one month between issues. Two days into owning it the dash lit up with check engine, traction control disabled and a flashing cruise control light. It was a simple loose connection at the passenger side VVT solenoid.

Drove great for a month, then the power steering pump started leaking. Of course it was dripping right into the cat heatshield and making a ton of smoke. Previous owner recently had the pump replaced to the tune of $1100, the shop that did the work reused the dry rotted feed/return line and weak *** spring clamps. The pump they used was a piece of junk too.

Had the airbag recall done at the local dealer and they had the dash out. A couple weeks later the blower quit working, fuses and resistor were blown. Found the wiring at the blower damaged and a relay box dangling by some wires because the mount was sheared off. Nice. I fixed the short, reflowed the solder on the resistor and threw some fuses in it.

Left it parked on my street for a day, a wind storm rolled in and some big tree branches fell on it. Big ugly dent in the a-pillar, roof and a broken windshield. Just got it back from being repaired and now it needs a $120 o2 sensor.

Funny thing is I bought it knowing these cars are notorious for head gasket trouble. It starts as a slow external oil leak. That's the one issue it doesn't have (yet).

The Frontier? I put axle seals in it. It's been perfect otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bought an '08 Elantra new in July of that year. Had it about two weeks before some bozo ran me off the road - fortunately no damage. Didn't even have the first oil change done yet and somebody drug a trailer down the driver's side and took off. Had to replace the driver's front fender and both driver's side doors because they were too badly creased to repair. The shop did a horrible job on the paint, and after multiple times of making them correct flaws I finally gave up. Over the ten years I owned it I had the windshield replaced at least half a dozen times, had a large rock put a dent in the roof, and a semi flipped up a large piece of metal that put a 12" dent in the passenger front window and took off the passenger door mirror. I replaced the mirror, but by that point I didn't really care about how it looked anymore...the fender is probably still dented.:D

I traded the Elantra in on the Frontier on New Year's Eve. It was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned - 160k miles on it and all I ever did was routine maintenance and replaced the timing belt twice ($80 worth of parts and a couple hours of my time). My parents have a '10 Elantra with 290k miles on it and have had the same luck mechanically, and slightly better cosmetically (one deer hit and a couple windshields). I'll be satisfied if the Frontier is anywhere close to as reliable as the Hyundais, and I'll be overjoyed if I can avoid all the other issues this time around!

Prior to the Hyundai, I bought a '98 Jeep Wrangler new. Had quite a few issues with it: excessive pinging/spark knock (dealership never figured it out), severe misfire at cold start (first dealer couldn't figure it out, second found a bad plug wire - amazing what you can find when you do more than scan for codes), clutch slave cylinder blew out, water leaks, and a handful of other small but annoying issues. But, it was by far the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned, even in stock form, and once I had made a ton of mods it was more capable than I ever imagined possible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The car I owned before my frontier was a 2014 Subaru Impreza. I bought it with 30k miles.

In two years of ownership and less than 30K of my own miles I dealt with;

-my co-worker rear ending me the day I proposed to my now wife

-hit a blown out tire on the highway needing a new bumper cover and tail light

-CVT failure at 60k miles.

The CVT was the icing on the cake. It was under warranty and they eventually fixed it(not without a fight) and then I got rid of the damn thing.

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
Bought new: '83 VW Rabbit GTI = the original pocket~rocket that handled better than any of my other sports cars since. But, it had demons...weird demons. Electrical, motor mounts, exhaust/muffler, shifter linkage... It also ate Pirelli's for breakfast/lunch/dinner, but that was ALL my fault. >:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bought a new 2000 Ford Taurus. Beautiful black car with dark grey cloth. That beast was in the shop for DLC's and so many mandatory recalls, I started joking that it spent more time at the dealer than it did in my garage. Not to mention that I was driving in the California mountains regularly at the time and the shift selector only offered "D" or "L" on a 5-speed automatic. Miserable to downshift down a long grade and not be able to select a mid-range gear.

I finally dumped it after a year and traded it on a new 2001 Crown Vic. Dealer did an even trade on it, no money changed hands, because of all the issues I had with the Taurus. The Vic was a Police Interceptor model that had been ordered by the local FBI office supervisor and then cancelled after it was delivered to the dealer's fleet department. It was a great car, handled great and was a "sleeper" car that could blow the doors off almost anything on the road at the time. Loved the car, but traded it for an Escape Hybrid in 2007 when gas in California jumped to almost $5 a gallon.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1989 Chevrolet Beretta GT. The LAST american car I've owned. This was during the advent of "electronic everything" in American cars. I replaced the ECM 5 times (3 under warranty), replaced the alternator 7 times (engineering flaw), replaced the ignition coil 3 times, the distributor 2 times. It would constantly overheat. And it randomly die in the middle of an intersection. I nursed that POS up to 130k miles before it finally gave up the ghost. I was newly married and in school and couldn't afford to replace it. So now we're a Nissan/Toyota/Mazda family. I feel for you Ryno!

·
Premium Member
4,867 Posts
1989 Chevrolet Beretta GT. The LAST american car I've owned. This was during the advent of "electronic everything" in American cars. I replaced the ECM 5 times (3 under warranty), replaced the alternator 7 times (engineering flaw), replaced the ignition coil 3 times, the distributor 2 times. It would constantly overheat. And it randomly die in the middle of an intersection. I nursed that POS up to 130k miles before it finally gave up the ghost. I was newly married and in school and couldn't afford to replace it. So now we're a Nissan/Toyota/Mazda family. I feel for you Ryno!
You do realize, your Frontier is U.S. built, right?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I would've bet my old frontier was. First week getting it, had too get windshield replaced. Few months later it got broken into. Passenger window and back passenger window were broken. About a year later, someone decided my truck would look good with a deep key marks on every panel. Leaving for work once morning and had too avoid an accident on the interstate and ran over a thing of paint. And too top it all off, was rear ended at a red light and got totaled it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
2000 Monte Carlo. The only Chevy I had ever owned. The corrosive Dexcool ate the insides of the rubber hoses. I had a bad head gasket and 1 warped head. I drove it with a large amount of oil in the radiator and a lot of coolant in the block. The heater core blew, and that was about 400 to repair, and then within 3 or 4 months blew again. I traded it in on a Fusion, and that was a fantastic car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
my cursed car was 1985 chrysler wagon. the small car. 2.2 turbo. a tornado took out the rear side window. then the catalytic converter messed up. took it to a auction house. and some one messed up the the key switch.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not my personal vehicles, but our trucks at work. I work on an ambulance in a busy 911 system. Our trucks have cameras that display upside down sometimes and randomly quit working, power mirror control that moves both mirrors at same time on one truck, one group of trucks the ac in the cab works better if the ac switch is turned off and relies on the box ac system to cool the cab. Alot of bizarre light flashes from underside lighting. Fridges randomly quit, then turn on again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts