Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Evaporative emission System Leak - small

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Dhk2 
#1 ·
For past 1.5 years as I pump gas the dispenser triggers off frequently before being full. Last week check engine light came on and I got the Evaporative Emission System Leak detected. Could these be related?

#2 ·
Yes this is a known issue. I had mine fixed under warranty, mine was the same, triggered off and threw a code eventually, that's when I took it in. i assume the leak must get just enough to finally trip the CEL. they replaced the evap canister and filler neck that i saw, probably hoses.
I noticed it did it more frequently when i let the tank get near empty.
There is a TSB.

see these

Gas spilling out of filler neck when fueling | Nissan Frontier Forum (clubfrontier.org)

#3 ·

I just replaced these parts in my truck recently after it getting progressively worse with being unable to fill the gas tank and CEL on all the time. I put it off for a long time, it took about 30 minutes. If you drive on pavement mostly just replace those parts and you’ll be good to go. If you drive on dirt a lot like me, I replaced the hose that runs from the vent valve to the frame rail and ran a new one up behind the drivers side tail light with a breather filter at the end like this

(random google photo) that I got from autozone. CEL has been gone for several thousand miles, and fills up no problem. Easy fix.

#4 ·
Worth noting to NEVER top off one's tank as this practice can damage the evap system.

#5 ·
good advice, i actually never heard of that issue, looks like it affects some cars but not all, depending on their EVAP design. I wonder if anyone has actually, TRULY, FACTUALLY verified that it's a no-no with this truck.
Unfortunately when your truck has this fill problem, you don't know if it's really full, or just shutting off prematurely due to the defect, so you keep filling ... ha ha.

#7 ·
Topping off can definitely damage the evap system. I’m pretty sure what the failure point on a lot of these trucks is the valve getting dirt in it and sticking open/closed. If you get under there you’ll see the hose running from the evap canister/valve into a hole on the frame. When I pulled that hose out dirt and dust literally fell out of the hose. Imagine how much makes it way into the valve and the evap canister itself.

Find a way to route that hose to clean air and you’ll be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.