Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this conversation has been talked about before. I am tired of the evap codes constantly that never stay fixed. Do you think it is worth just changing both valves at one time and be done with it? I know one may not be bad, but the small investment will not bother me if this will cure the problem for a few years. I am yet to even get under there and mess with anything. I clear the code and it stays off sometimes for a while (I don't use the truck much) and other times the light comes back on within 30 miles. Just looking for opinions on what people have had luck with.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I know this conversation has been talked about before. I am tired of the evap codes constantly that never stay fixed. Do you think it is worth just changing both valves at one time and be done with it? I know one may not be bad, but the small investment will not bother me if this will cure the problem for a few years. I am yet to even get under there and mess with anything. I clear the code and it stays off sometimes for a while (I don't use the truck much) and other times the light comes back on within 30 miles. Just looking for opinions on what people have had luck with.
Look at gas cap seal that can cause the code to pop up. My friend did that on his titan and worked perfectly. I would also do it one at a time. That way you can see what the problem truly is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will try another cap. Have tried two that came with the truck from previous owner but I am not sure if they are both bad or not, I will give a third cap a try.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
IMO the gas cap is rarely ever the problem but the first thing you should try. If you have already tried a cap then I would not bother getting another one. What code are you throwing. Do you know how the evap system works/test? When I had my 96 nissan (which is very similar to a 1 gen fronty), I chased an evap issue for a while. It ended up being the pressure sensor. Part cost about $200 new but I was able to pull on from a junk yard for $20. I forget the exact code that it kept on throwing but it was something like evap pressure sensor fault.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't remember the code numbers, when light comes on again will pull them again. I so know it was the mass leak and also the valve stuck/leak. I am thinking the mass leak was due to the valve issue. I have no problem replacing the one or two valves, think I can find them new in the $40-$60 range. I just want to do it and do it once at least get it out of my hair for a few years. The truck is used maybe 4000 miles per year at best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts