Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Frontier XE with 2.4 liter engine, RWD. Check engine light has been on and I am having trouble getting it to go off.
It has passed a smoke test, and I have had the Vent Valve and Canister replaced. Also the purge valve was replaced a year or so ago.
I had the dealer check the codes out and they said that the vent valve was OK (so they said) and recommended replacing the canister.
I had that done today and we have been driving around with an ODB dongle waiting for codes to clear (NY State, can get away with 1 code) It got down to 2 codes. Is there some other factor at play here? I'm a month past due on inspection and I don't want to drive this truck over the scales just yet.
TIA for any tips! Have a great day!

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Frontier SV crew cab, short bed, 6 speed manual transmission, Value Truck Package
828 Posts
P0445 is an EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve circuit shorted. The Factory Service Manual lists possible causes:
  • Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is shorted)
  • EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve
Also, I've heard of leaks in EVAP systems small enough that the smoke isn't apparent to the untrained eye, but still large enough to throw codes. Easiest solution in that situation is to pressurize the EVAP system and spray EVAP system components down with soapy water and look for bubbles.

My recommendation is to take it to a competent independent mechanic who can troubleshoot and confirm the problem rather than just throwing parts at it, and avoid the stealership for everything other than buying a new vehicle or getting warranty work done. (y)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks :) I think I put down the wrong code in the tags P0455 (Gross evap leak) and the other code was for the vent valve (I need to check the doo-dad) It seems folks say Gas Cap or FSU Sealing ring. I've had my fill of going to dealers (ugh)

·
Super Moderator
11,721 Posts
You beat me to it on the gas cap. Hope you get it solved soon.

Clint

1 - 7 of 7 Posts