Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the frontier SE and in the sales pitch for the little "extra" they want ot sell I was touted on the exterior and interior protection of what I guess is a clear coat for the pain and who knows on the interior. the purpose is to protect the finish from acid rain and UV light. Is this something anyone has an opinion on?
thanks
bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also opted for the "protection" package. Basically from what the dealer told me is it is a protectant coating similar to a hard wax that is applied to the exterior. Every six months I can go back to the dealer and they will buff the whole truck and re-apply the coating. The way I see it, it is a free detailing of the paint every six months. Well not totally free.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's interesting as I don't think mine was presentd that way and they said something about doing the interior. I paid for it but haven't had it done yet. They say it takes about 5 hours to do and only on Tuesdays. I remember the old "clear coats" and how they seemed to peel and yellow in some cases. (yeah, I know...I also studied to the light of kerosene!)
thanks for the reply.
bob

·
Registered
58 Posts
coating

This type of gimmick is just a way for dealers to make extra money on a sale. You can buy scotchguard at a walmart and do it yourself. The paint protection scheme started long ago when dealers were applying stuff like polyglycoat. Don't get any of this unless it's free... You won't miss it if you don't get it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I agree, the sum total cost of the materials used for the application of these gimmics is but a mere fraction of what the dealerships charge for it! It's a huge Cash Cow for them. All cars come from the factory with a clear coat anyway, and as was mentioned previously, you can do the scotch guard yourself and then apply a good quality wax to the exterior! My opinion... Save your money!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
this i know ALOT about as i am a qualified "business manager/finance manager".

the paint protection they offer for 3-400 bucks cost the dealer about 20 dollars
and an hours labour. the fabric spray atomizer is not much better than scotch guard
even tho they will tell you it is.

imo the undercoat and rust inhibiter are a good thing...but are very expensive.

propack costs 1200.00 for you (paint,fabric, undercoat and rust inhibitor)

it costs the dealer about 75.00 for product and 4 hours of someones labour.

1000 profit on a 200 cost :roll: :roll: :roll: not bad for the dealer eh?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tanks a bunch. Think I will cancell out and used the bucks for a few accessories and have some left over!!!
bob

·
Registered
556 Posts
I picked up 2 cans of undercoating aerosol at Auto Zone and applied it to the areas in the rear fenderwells that the factory missed...and to a spot on the frame where it was scuffed so it wouldn't rust. If you want, you can buy extra cans, put on goggles, crawl under the truck and go crazy, but only if you're living in an area that you're concerned about corrosion.

Other than that, scotchguard all fabric and carpet, and wax it every few months and you'll be doing it as much good as the dealer would have for your $400. I also really like to apply Meguires FX spray wax after each wash....a really nice finish for between-waxings.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use Meguires Polymer Sealant. It works great. Also, I bought a couple cans of 3M Scotchguard. My coffee stains come right out. On my last vehicle (escape) it took me a few hours with the vehicle on jackstands to mask off and under coat it. I haven't hit the Frontier yet, but I plan on it.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
CBDFrontier06 said:
I picked up 2 cans of undercoating aerosol at Auto Zone and applied it to the areas in the rear fenderwells that the factory missed...and to a spot on the frame where it was scuffed so it wouldn't rust. If you want, you can buy extra cans, put on goggles, crawl under the truck and go crazy, but only if you're living in an area that you're concerned about corrosion.

Other than that, scotchguard all fabric and carpet, and wax it every few months and you'll be doing it as much good as the dealer would have for your $400. I also really like to apply Meguires FX spray wax after each wash....a really nice finish for between-waxings.
what did you use for the undercoating? this is something I really want to do before winter comes again...after I take care of the rust spot on my frame I want to spray that too...

·
Registered
257 Posts
I used the 3M undercoating. I figured I have a new vehicle, so I'd rather use a trusted brand rather than brand X.

·
Registered
13 Posts
At the car dealership I work at the salesmen try to sell a thing called a "Century" package. It sounds a lot like what your describing. The technicians spray a thick coat of some chemical that hardens on the underside of the vehicle, it's mostly for sound dampening. The we clean it the best we can and use regular scotchguard on the inside (just spray it on all the carpet, no big process) and use a paint sealent on the outside. They say the whole thing costs about 1000 dollar. Big rip off if you ask me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts