Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Frontier...Do the engine valves on our trucks need adjusting as part of routine maintenance? Thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
2013 Frontier...Do the engine valves on our trucks need adjusting as part of routine maintenance? Thanks.
No. They are direct acting mechanical buckets. Lash is set at the factory with shims.

·
Super Moderator
3,691 Posts
No. They are direct acting mechanical buckets. Lash is set at the factory with shims.
Yes, they are bucket tappets, but they no longer use shims for adjustment. Earlier VQ's had select-able shims, but on later engines, they have different sized bucket tappets (about 52 different sizes, if I remember correctly) and they use the appropriate sized bucket to adjust the clearance. This makes it even harder to adjust the valves, if needed, because one has to remove the camshaft in order to replace the bucket, which doesn't have to be done with the shimmed-style buckets. Don't ask me why they did this, because that I do not know. Maybe the one piece is a quieter or stronger design compared to the two piece bucket, but that's just a guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts