Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, trucks an '06 5 speed manual. Just recently about a week ago I noticed the engine starting to have a small tick to it when I comes off idle. Idle you can't hear it and then anywhere above you can hear it. And now you can hear it at idle..
Last oil change was semi synthetic 5w-30 valveolene or what ever the spelling is for that company lol. Temps don't get hot here so figured it'd be fine. Truck has just about to roll into 80K miles. Regular oil changes, dealer check ups, everything! Never missed a beat with it! Bought it with 29,980 miles and engine and tranny have been 100% fine until now with this tick in the engine..
Anyone have any ideas? I know the v6 has the timing chain guide wear out causing a knock..
Can anyone help me please? If not truck will be going in here soon

·
Registered
936 Posts
I will take a guess and say it may be a tensioner on one of the pulleys for the accessory belt that drives the power steering, A/C,alternator, etc. You have a 9 yr old truck with 80,000 miles and I am betting its something related to the accessory belt drive in the engine .. I assume you have had no warning lights come on in the dashboard. Could possibly be a bearing or valve in the A/C unit too.
Does the A/C keep the truck cool when you turn it on? Does the noise go away if you turn on or off the A/C?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!!
No check engine lights or anything. Dash is all normal..
Turning AC on or off does not do anything to the noise.

I just picked up a mechanics steathascope. So I'll give that a go when I get a chance. Been super busy with work so trucks just been sitting and iv been riding my motorcycles to work and everywhere else. So hopefully the steathascope helps me pinpoint it and hopefully it's something I can do..
Will report back when iv had the chance to get into it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think that's it.. But very well could be, anything possible!
I checked a little yesterday by little I mean start it pop the hood and listen lol. Didn't have much time. Sounds to be coming from more of the bottom of the engine like around the pulley then anywhere else. I'll check when I have more time with my steathascope.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I listened in today for the tick. Noticed it was towards the left on top. So I put on the steathascope and went searching, touched everything and listened to everywhere I thought was obvious. After not finding anything I just went listening around feeling different parts, touched a black line and followed it to see where it went. It went to the gas tank... As I followed the line closer to the engine it was more and more noticeable. So now hopefully this weekend I'll be able to pull off the air intake stuff and open up thAt side of the engine and hopefully find a ticking injecter..

Anyone else think anything..? This I'm very stumped on! I'm asking a few other people also but any input is going to help!
Thanks guys for the replies!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well had tracked it down to the injectors so I ran a bottle of injector cleaner first and that helped, but now it's come back and seems kinda worst. Weird... Anyways it seems to run fine and so when I have it in for the 80k check up I'll ask em to check into it. If they can't find anything then I'll most likely replace the injectors just to be sure and it's fairly easy..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Let us know if it turns out to be the injectors and you know that once you replace them. Good info. for us 2nd gen 4 cylinder owners. Thanks for the updates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check the exhaust manifold for cracks. Also I remember there being a tsb on this tick. Should be some info on this forum about it. Do a search.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you able to figure out where the sound is coming from? I have an 05 VQ40DE with 90k and this sound is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Find YouTuber Scotty Kilmer, he has a video on finding the tick. He says it is often an injector, and has a video for cleaning the injectors;
, and a video on replacing an injector;

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a 4-foot section of an old garden hose as a stethoscope.
It usually doesn't take long to track the source of strange sounds.
If it's an injector, just leave it...at least you know what it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts