Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone else with uprev has my same problem but, during the day when its hottest My truck runs like a total turd. Towards the night it runs alot better. Does anyone have any tricks or know of a "GOOD" product to reduce engine temps?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already have the Tstat which is helping but not nearly enough to have truck's tune working properly

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Then efans are your only option. You can have them turn on low and keep the temps down.

Past that you may want to look into the stillen radiator made for the Titan. It has been speculated to fit since we share the same frame but it has yet to be tested.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Take out a bit of coolant and replace it with one or 2 bottles of water wetter (can usually find it at most car parts places), my engine was running a little hotter than I liked so I threw a bottle in, seemed to keep the temp down just a bit more, but nothing drastic

If you have an aftermarket grille that could also be impeding your performance, also maybe consider selling your k&n and put in a volant so your sucking in less hot engine air and more fresher air from outside. One other thing is there's a plastic shield in the grille right by the intake you could remove to get easier airflow to the engine, you typically have to remove it for the volants scoop to be effective but I don't see why you can't take it out otherwise

·
Registered
183 Posts
Heat soak is a major problem of any modern engine, especially ours. The intake tube runs directly over the radiator, not too smart considering heat rises.
I had the same dealings with mine. It is the fact that as air is heated, it expands. less o2, effectively richening the mixture.
Also, with mods as we have you run into detonation/pre-ignition with high intake temps, this is picked up through the knock sensors and o2 sensors as improper burn.
The ecm reads this retards timing, and alters injector pulse width to tree humper friendly levels killing power and fuel mileage.
I was able to help mine some by switching to a 40/60 mix of coolant and deionized water, adding Redline Water Wetter,and making sure no air is in system.
This makes the radator more efficient getting rid of heat. The coolant tb bypass didnt really help much.
One step colder Irridium sparkplugs helped with the preignition.
The best reductions I have achieved in reducing intake temps was by wrapping the intake tube in header wrap, with an overlayed thermal blanket for a turbo.
Using flex tubing and an air duct from Spectre I was able to duct air from below front bumper to air filter made a big difference too, as I have seen my left front fender get to126*F just sitting in the Florida sun all day.
It still heat soaks the rest of the manifold from radiant engine/exhaust but nothing as bad as the mileage(-3mpg) and power loss as before.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This all helped thanks gentleman. Gonna try somethings on my day off tomorrow. But tonight the proof of me being robbed of performance really showed. I raced my buddys Silverado SS and I normally get him by a car or 2 but He wooped me by 2 so, I need to try something. Especially at the track cause I cant break 14.5 :(. My trap speeds are all between 94 and 95.5 but thats cause more air is gettin fed while im movin. My 60' went from 2.0 to 2.2 and even a 2.4 once. And letting it cool down and tune is properly functional I spin like mad even after a good burnout. If I hook and engine temp is perfect 13.99999999999999 may be possible

·
Registered
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have the mishimoto 350z stat, Not the nismo. So It should be at 62 C*. Last night, went out for a cruise and hooked up my laptop to see exactly whats going on (JERSEY FORECAST 75 F*, partly cloudy 10% Humidity) ...... My intake temps were pretty low at only 37 C*..... but while I was "driving" my coolant temp was ranging between 65 C* (149 F*) (65 C* only showing up after not catching 4 red lights in a row) and 78 C* (172 F*), while comming to a red light or a stop my engine temp would rise all the way up to 92 C* (208 F*). Thats 80* more than I would like it to run at...... Im thinking it could be my thermostat.... I did have a slow coolant leak about 2 months ago And it would always have a different reading from day to day. So my it malfunctioned.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I have the mishimoto 350z stat, Not the nismo. So It should be at 62 C*. Last night, went out for a cruise and hooked up my laptop to see exactly whats going on (JERSEY FORECAST 75 F*, partly cloudy 10% Humidity) ...... My intake temps were pretty low at only 37 C*..... but while I was "driving" my coolant temp was ranging between 65 C* (149 F*) (65 C* only showing up after not catching 4 red lights in a row) and 78 C* (172 F*), while comming to a red light or a stop my engine temp would rise all the way up to 92 C* (208 F*). Thats 80* more than I would like it to run at...... Im thinking it could be my thermostat.... I did have a slow coolant leak about 2 months ago And it would always have a different reading from day to day. So my it malfunctioned.
Something has to be wrong. I run the normal 350z stat, and mine NEVER has run any higher than 188 climbing a moutain in 95 degree heat. The nismo/michimoto stat is supposed to be almost 20 degrees cooler than the normal one. Also at Idle, mine stays right at 182, has climbed to 186 sitting in parkway traffic for almost an hour.

Have you changed to coolant out since new? When I changed mine(before doing the 350z stat) I noticed a huge improvement in cooling.(almost 5 degrees cooler and it drops much faster while coasting)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you changed to coolant out since new?

Yes I have, actually less than 200miles ago. I had a slow coolant leak for about a month and never fixed it cause I didnt have the time. Finally fixed it about 3 weeks ago and ever since its been runnin poopy. Except in the early morning around 5-6 am. Could my thermostat be F'ed up? Im gonna try putting stock back on for now if nothing else works

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yeah I agree you are running way to high considering you have a performance stat. I forgot my exact temps, but I think mine stays in the 170-180 range even while sitting still.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts