Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace the engine in my 2000 Frontier due to bad cylinder heads. I've searched a few scrap yard/ junkyard sites that my friend a mechanic recommended. Basically I couldn't find anything for a Frontier. On autozone the my garage thing they have, when I'm searching for parts they link parts that can be used for the Xterra between 98-05. I searched the scrap yard sites using a Xterra and got hits. Even two of the search hits where in regard for a frontier Engine.

My truck is V6 3.3L VG33E 4WD SFI
I've seen some of the Xterra engines at the same specs in regard to 3.3L and VG33E . Beyond that I've seen QQTP and ODIS on the Xterra engines: I have no clue what those mean.:confused:

So I'm wondering/confirming if I can replace my frontier engine with an Xterra's?
My search Site
LKQ Parts Lookup

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't see why not...but let more knowledgable people chime in any case...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I just broke over 100,000 when it went bad. I'm not sure the exact number cause I didn't really know that was the problem till the engine started misfiring and then I did some research and a compression test and a shop.

Also Dlgriffin, the site you provided mixes Frontier engines with Xterra's which is making me a lot more hopeful. But the prices on that site are way more expensive than the one I've been using.

Another thing, just found another site through Dlgriffin site, I take back what I said at first, I'm looking at a engine with 47k on it at 800.
The guy was saying there are components I have to switch out anyone know as to what that is?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The other parts would be your accessories and brackets probably. Most used engines don't come with all the accessories so you may need to use your old ones.

If you are getting a used engine, it may help to change the timing belt and water pump while it is on the engine stand. If the motor has 50k on it, those parts are only good till 100k at most so doing it now may save you some in the long run.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you are anywhere near NYC call Hunts Point they are in the Bronx. I,ve gotten a bunch of stuff from them over the years. 1yr ago i got a 300zxtt clip with fenders and trans for 1320.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the original site I was using but I found another one with better stuff and for cheaper but I'm not sure if it comes with all the engine accesories like LKQ Hunts point does. I'll find out tomorrow.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eh that truck is supercharged and not fully compatible with mine and all the way in Denver. That's a while a away from NY but thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I just broke over 100,000 when it went bad. I'm not sure the exact number cause I didn't really know that was the problem till the engine started misfiring and then I did some research and a compression test and a shop.

Also Dlgriffin, the site you provided mixes Frontier engines with Xterra's which is making me a lot more hopeful. But the prices on that site are way more expensive than the one I've been using.

Another thing, just found another site through Dlgriffin site, I take back what I said at first, I'm looking at a engine with 47k on it at 800.
The guy was saying there are components I have to switch out anyone know as to what that is?
i would be very skeptical on 800 bucks for 47k... is it a long block?

i payed 1350 for my motor shipped to my door step.. it had 55k on it and i searched my A$$ off for one for a good 3 months

btw, your in for a world of hurt dropping in motors on these trucks, it looks open n easy but its far from it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i would be very skeptical on 800 bucks for 47k... is it a long block?

i payed 1350 for my motor shipped to my door step.. it had 55k on it and i searched my A$$ off for one for a good 3 months

btw, your in for a world of hurt dropping in motors on these trucks, it looks open n easy but its far from it
EH my truck has finally died on me today:( I was trying finish up something I started last week and well I couldn't even make it back home.
As for weather its a long or short block, I called in yesterday asking whats on it etc. The guy said its essentially a ready to run engine, water pump, timing parts, manifold all on it already. Although there's some other stuff I want to check, if its on the engine because at the time I called I couldn't remember what to ask is on it. Also can some one translate this for me, its the description they give: 3.3L,AT,11/03,4X4 47K X 606

As for doing the engine work myself I think for this one I'm gonna give it to the pro's. I remember trying to take out the 6th spark plug in the back. So was not happening. Had to go to my friends shop with all his gear and stuff. It took 3 guys,1/5 hrs, 2 swivel sockets and ext, we even had a fiber optic cable camera to help direct what was going on.
The engine I'm just gonna bring to someone, I don't even have a hoist so theres my first problem.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
3.3L,AT,11/03,4X4 47K X 606
3.3Liter pro date november of 2003, 4 wheel drive 47,000 miles
as for (x 606) i have no idea. the persons phone extension
seen my motor out twice in its life i,ve done motor swaps before on other cars and trucks. i payed for mine to be done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope someone can answer this question for me.
Can you swap a 2004 Nissan Xterra engine for a 2000 Nissan Frontier?
Also what year did Nissan start making 2nd Gen Frontier,Xterras etc?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
2005 was the beginning of 2nd gen Frontier and Exterras.

As for swaping in 2004 into 2000. I would say yes as the engines are the same. However, the accessories may not be. And possibly the mounting holes may not be. On Accessory that may not be are the brains (ECM). Also there maybe more other electronics that I don't know about.

Do a bit of research first and see if your electronics have all the hookups on the new engine.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There are a few differances but you can swap everything off of your current engine to fit the new one. The big thing is some have egr and others don't. If you have egr and your new motor doesn't you will have to swap intake manifolds. Also the exhaust manifolds are different and will have to be swapped to bolt up to the cats and exhaust. Also check and make sure that it has the same crank pulley on the new motor as i think certain years had v belt alternators and others had poly rib belts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't know where you live in New York, but I had great luck with Don's Automotive in Binghampton, NY. The usually have a good selection of used engines.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't know where you live in New York, but I had great luck with Don's Automotive in Binghampton, NY. The usually have a good selection of used engines.
where do you live son?

i live in bingy... actually a couple miles from dons

however, frontiers or xterras are rare to come through there

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I hope someone can answer this question for me.
Can you swap a 2004 Nissan Xterra engine for a 2000 Nissan Frontier?
Also what year did Nissan start making 2nd Gen Frontier,Xterras etc?
Nissan added an extra catalyst to the 4 cylinder's engines for the 2003 model year I believe, and it was added into the header for the California emissions requirements. Not sure if the 6 got it too, but it might have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts