Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get some feedback on this from you guys? I have an '04 XE and recently found nasty clay-like build up in my radiator. Every sign points to a blown head gasket, even though the truck has never over heated. I have begun the tear down process and have the cooling system off and have ordered all new parts. A mechanic friend of mine brought up the idea that I may have a cracked block. If this is the case I have some options...new block, new engine, and some other stuff. What are your thoughts in a direction and advice. I am a novice mechanic at best but don't have the money to pay someone else to do it, so this will be all me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked the power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and radiator for leaks. The only other option, that I know of, would be a blown head gasket. Like I said, I am a novice so my knowledge is limited.

·
Premium Member
5,735 Posts
So, no coolant system pressure test, compression or leakdown test or sniffer test on the cooling system? In 12-13 years, not knowing anything about the water in your area could be anything.

Have you owned the truck since new? DO you know it's history? Without any kind of tests, I would not simply tear in to an engine like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We did an old school compression test. We removed the spark plugs and checked one by one leaving the radiator cap off. When we checked cylinder #2 it shot coolant everywhere. I have not owned the truck since new and don't have much about its history at all. I have not tore the truck down very much at all. It's at 125k miles, so I have just done the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
How is rest of truck? I ask cuz with those lowish miles, perhaps your engine was not cared for with regular maintenance. If the rest of your truck is similar*, then you may be looking at just cutting your losses best way you can.
*Think drivetrain, drivetrain fluids, suspension, etc...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine compartment looks kind of rough. Being in the Mid-Atlantic area and their use of salt and sand road treatments could have played a big part in that. Unfortunately, I don't believe a new truck is an option for me. I would think that the truck has a lot of life left with some moderate repairs. Showed a mechanic the radiator and hoses. He mentioned the fact that dexcool sludge could be a culprit and that the heads and gaskets may be fine. But wouldn't know for sure until he could do a compression test or inspect the heads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts