Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so pulling the motor when it gets cold here in florida, but considering i have never pulled a motor any help or tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. swapping it out with the same motor except a used one. or if there is decent write up that i have yet to find would be helpful.... yes ive been searching for one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Get an engine crane, LABEL EVERYTHING ON BOTH ENDS, and take a thousand pictures. I've only done it once ('66 Chevy C10) and it was a bit much for me, I wouldn't know where to start with all of the electronics now a days.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
i and a few others on here have done a handfull of swaps at least lol.
i personally think this is one of the easiest vehicles to replace an engine.

its small enough to be easy to work around everything, but large enough to get your hands everywhere.

i always unbolt the bell housing and pull the motor and not the combo. ive seen some people do both, i think pulling just the motor is much faster.
there arent really any tricks or hard parts just start with the basics and start pulling on the motor until it comes out.

battery
wiring
fluids
large ticket items, rad,fan shroud
exhaust
bell housing
a/c to the side
mounts and pull?

im forgetting something im sure but its super basic i swear. its easier to accidentally do it right than to mess anything up, promise.
good on you for giving it a try or considering it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just worried about the reinstall of the motor and all the wiring and little connections

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I believe the wiring connections are all a bit different so they only go together one way.
Don't quite me on that, but I know Chevy is that way. I would imagine all oe's are that way!
My wrists and knees are all screwed up at the moment so I paid a shop to install. 2k in labor!
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
I believe the wiring connections are all a bit different so they only go together one way.
Don't quite me on that, but I know Chevy is that way. I would imagine all oe's are that way!
My wrists and knees are all screwed up at the moment so I paid a shop to install. 2k in labor!
Good luck.
Most connectors are going to be different from each other, so it is normally difficult to plug the wrong thing in to the wrong thing. But, as 4thNissan'05 said, label everything and take lots of pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
correct, im to the point i dont label ****. its much less intimidating when you get your first 6 hours done. you can drive your truck into your garage and pull it same day.
the connections are all different, the engine harness is removable too.

leave the intake and under intake harness, just unplug the main plug on the back of the motor. as you unplug all of the engine harness you can grab a towel and lay it over the side of the truck near the fuse box and drape the rest of the harness over it if you dont want to fully remove it.

after that its just fluids, big stuff, accessories. motor mounts and pull. i havent never actually timed myself, but its fully possible to pull on a saturday and start it up sunday evening while taking your time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's not difficult to do, just very fiddly.

While I have not pulled the engine on a Frontier, I have done it in other vehicles and the only advice I can add is to get a load leveler for your engine hoist. Harbor Freight has one for not a lot of cash and they are a huge help.

Also, pull the radiator and fans. You'll want that extra few inches of clearance. If your current one is at all questionable, now would be a good time to replace it. Check the condition of all your cooling and vacuum hoses. Excellent time to replace them as well, especially any that would be a pain to reach with the engine in the truck.

Consider removing the hood as well. The more room you give yourself, the easier it will go.

·
Registered
355 Posts
so pulling the motor when it gets cold here in florida, but considering i have never pulled a motor any help or tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. swapping it out with the same motor except a used one. or if there is decent write up that i have yet to find would be helpful.... yes ive been searching for one.
Take pictures before you start and as you go, they will be helpful when you are hooking hoses and wiring back up. I also separate my right side, left side nuts and bolts.....

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
its way easier than that. what hoses? what tubes?
they all have a very specific spot they need to go to, and they have sat like that for 10 years.

this swap is so much easier than you think, im a complete ****ing moron and i didnt even graduate highschool and i can do it over a weekend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with other posts - label everything, Bag corresponding bolts with like, load leveler, don't remove accessories, replace the wearable items at this time also (I.e., sensors, hoses, and etc.). Spray exhaust/rusty bolts a couple days before the pull, Be very careful with AFR (O2 sensors) when you take those out. Try your best to only apply rotational force to AFR/O2 Sensors!!

I will assume that you drive a manual transmission - balance and replace the clutch components.....and replace anything else you think needs to be replaced.

Last but not least - this is a good time to install a sweet set of ceramic Doug Thorley shorty headers and clean up that crappy exhaust system!! (Completely optional).

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
i dont agree with not removing accessories.
just the same on the exhaust and o2 sensors can all be left on, just unplug them and unbolt the exhaust and cats and move them out of the way.

if you are unbolting the trans you must remove starter.
unless you are illegally venting your ac to atmosphere you must remove ac pulley
power steering can be left hooked up if you remove it from the motor

ok leave the alt on lol....

·
Registered
99 Posts
"unless you are illegally venting your ac to atmosphere you must remove ac pulley
Good point - You might want to consider taking the truck to a shop and having them evacuate the system. Usually $50-$75 to get it done here in Austin. And the compressor oil is a PITA to clean up so consider that also.

And - buy a six pack of beers - Whenever you are removing anything that is kicking your astrick - sit back and drink a beer and look at the whole scenario to determine if there is an easier way? Taking things apart should be logical and have a pattern or sequence that must be done before something else can come off - As I was told a long time ago "don't try to out engineer the engineer".

cheers,

Bleudog

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you to everyone who has given me input on the matter. I drive a automatic 6cyl 4.0 2005 and have one more question about pulling the motor is there anything i need to know about the connection between the motor and the trans? does it just unbolt and boom its free from it?

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
You are going to have to unbolt the torque converter from the flexplate. While I have never done a 4.0L Nissan, most engines are similar. Some sort of inspection plate can be removed for access to the bolts or sometimes with the starter removed. Someone who has done this on the 4.0L can chime in.

OR, the other way (which I don't recommend normally) is to just remove the bellhousing bolts and slip the engine off with the converter still bolted to the flexplate. The issue with this is you need to slide the engine forward a distance to disengage the converter from the input shaft on the transmission where with the converter unbolted, you can basically come straight up with the engine. There isn't always room to slide forward first depending on vehicle. If that makes any sense.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so found a motor today and have a question about connecting the trans to the motor and what fluids other than coolant, the a/c, do i need to drain in the proccess

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also when joining the two which way should i spin the plate to make the flex plate move ccw or cw

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
im feeling less confident in your ability, maybe have a buddy with some experience to help.

every important part has been mentioned, get a manual and start reading.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
same but since im a college kid and have like 4 dollars to my name im going to be doing this my self been watching videos on it and my biggest area of concern is joining the two together everything else is basic pulled and replaced everything except a trans or an engine much less join them together while its in the truck. But i guess when i pull it out it has to go back the same way so you will either hear back from me freaking out asking a question or see a post saying i have successfully done a engine swap. thanks for the quick responses

·
Premium Member
12,049 Posts
with it being a tq converter all you need to do is remove all bell housing bolts, starter, tq converter bolts.
once all that is done you will have two dowels on the either side of the motor/trans connection that will need lovingly pried apart. use a jack or a trans jack to keep the trans on the same level as the motor.

once all the bolts are removed and the motor is ready to pull, put tension on the motor in a pulling up motion but dont really try to lift the entire thing out. just lift it up a couple mm. then gently pry the trans apart and let it rest on the jack.
ive done this on my own many times, if you are worried and its your first time. i would for sure try to find a trans jack and have it strapped to the trans.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts