Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Great truck
1,021 Posts
I run walmart non-synthetic in my autocross bmw which happened to also have been my daily driver at that time. 200k miles and still won class with no problems here in south texas heat.

They all have to meet certain specs to be sold for the public.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I run walmart non-synthetic in my autocross bmw which happened to also have been my daily driver at that time. 200k miles and still won class with no problems here in south texas heat.

They all have to meet certain specs to be sold for the public.
Of course it's good oil. Walmart doesn't want to be paying for millions of new engines because they sold inferior oil.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Supertech Full-synthetic 5W30 oil is API SN Plus certified, GM Dexos1 Gen 2 approved and ILSAC GF-5 certified and made for Walmart by Warren Distribution and Citgo. For the price, why not use it?

Reactions: CaptRussia253

·
Registered
439 Posts
I love these oil posts! They always turn into a subjective rhubarb! Everyone has their own opinion and there is no changing that. Nissan told me that the Frontier COMES with 5W-30 CONVENTIONAL oil. I changed mine the other day with Mobil One 10W30 (it gets HOT here) and a Supertech 6607 filter. Let the flames begin LOL .

BTW I have insisted on Mobil One since I bought the truck, it just seems to run quieter.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yup gotta love a good oil debate haha.
10w40 GTX is all I run now. Quiet engine and smooth startup in the morning. And cheap!

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
There's nothing wrong with running conventional oil. Blackstone Labs, who does oil analysis, even stated that their own people use conventional oil. For me, personally, when I can get a 5-qt. jug of full synthetic oil for $17 that meets the specifications of the vehicle manufacturer, it just makes sense to use that when it's about the same cost as name brand, conventional oils.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thats for sure. Last oil purchase at walmart there was only a 2 dollar price diff between syn and conv.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I love these oil posts! They always turn into a subjective rhubarb! Everyone has their own opinion and there is no changing that. Nissan told me that the Frontier COMES with 5W-30 CONVENTIONAL oil. I changed mine the other day with Mobil One 10W30 (it gets HOT here) and a Supertech 6607 filter. Let the flames begin LOL .

BTW I have insisted on Mobil One since I bought the truck, it just seems to run quieter.
I use Mobil 1 also. Rotella T6 is a good oil also.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Todays engines run right around 210 degrees, heat is your oils worst enemy, therefore, I run synthetic oil,

just for arguments sake, I'll throw out Harley Davidsons for example. I had a 883 cc Sportster, HD's recommended interval was 5k miles, if you had a 1200 cc Sportster or 88 cu in Bike, their recommended interval was 2500 miles. I often argued on HD forums why that was, the 883 CC turned higher rpms than any othe HD, so you would think that would require more frequent oil changes, I won the argument in I think it was 2007, may have been 2009, HD changed their recommended oil change interval to 5k miles on all Bikes, and reviewing their Oil, no changes were made... lol
the 3k or 5k mile interval for us average Joe's is bullshit. Unless you have run hot for any length of time.
I have had extensive testing done on our oils in our Air compressors and production machines, dino oils are ok, syn oil is better,

·
Registered
Great truck
1,021 Posts
I do the Walmart stuff also, most of the time. if I get a good deal on the name brand, I will go with that but generally I use supertech or rotella

·
Registered
764 Posts
I recently switched to Kirkland Signature 5W-30 full synthetic from Costco. It's made by Warren Distribution. Dexos Gen 2 approved, API service SN Plus. $24 for 10 quarts from the local Costco.

Since I pour in 5 1/2 quarts to get to the middle of the oil dipstick, for convenience I just buy one quart of Super Tech 5W-30. Dump one Kirkland 5 quart, half of the Super Tech, and save the other half for the next oil change.

I suppose I could just spend the extra $2 and buy a 5-quart bottle of SuperTech. I'd probably do that if there wasn't a Costco nearby.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’ve used mobil1 for years but it caused my frontier to rattle on startup. Valve train noise I guess
I switched to MAGNATEC and all is quiet. I always use a wix filter

·
Registered
239 Posts
Op the full syn castrol is great oil. Its what you’re running, and what your truck is used to. All modern oil is good, but I believe in picking a oil and staying with it.
At $22 a gallon for full syn Castrol why save a few bucks on conventional.
And the 5w-30 is never going to cause issues.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts