Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003, 4 cylinder ka24de manual will crank up fine, idle well, and run well while not under load (in gear). It also runs and drives fine shortly after starting. After driving for a while it will hesitate (lose power) for a second and then run again. The more I drive it the more frequently it hesitates until it becomes very regular (2ish - 3ish seconds running normally, 2ish - 4ish seconds hesitating in a regular pattern.) When it gets to the stage where it is regular, it is very difficult to get moving from a stop without stalling. The hesitation is very easy to produce when the pedal is pushed down pretty far, it seems to be worse with the more gas given to it (If I give it a lot of gas, it bogs immediately, then fires up, bogs, fires up, ect). It is less prone to hesitate with light pedal, though it still will. No matter what it hesitates in a pattern.

It appears that the engine almost or does stop firing when it "hesitates", it loses most or all (I can't say for sure) of its power, like it is extremely bogged down. All of the lights and everything stay on. It will idle and run fine when not in gear, even with lots of gas.

The ignition coil, distributer rotor and cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires and fuel filter have been replaced. I have also determined it is not the rear cat, I don't know about the front.

I will be pulling codes, checking for misfires in every cylinder, testing for spark from the rotor cap and testing the ohms on the injectors tomorrow (4/8/2021). I will update.

Other relevant information: The check engine light is on. I know of EVAP leak and front cat low efficiency codes, which I have not attempted to address. The distributer rotor was changed in response to a bad camshaft position sensor code. The truck has about 205,500 miles. It had about 200,000 miles on it before it sat up for 5 years, exposed to the elements and rats. It has had a lot of electrical problems, mostly related to corrosion incurred during that time. The truck's ignition components were all factory, right down to the spark plugs, until last week. I imagine this is a trend that carries across the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: Injectors are all at about 8.8 ohms, and I haven't found and info about their specs. That number seems low though. I also pulled the spark plug wires and they arced well enough to run the engine at idle.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Moderators, this is posted in three different places, maybe consolidate to one thread?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts