Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was just on the Nissan Web site and notice that the Pathfinder has the exact same engine (VQ40DE) as our Frontiers, but it puts out more HP, [email protected] RPM and more Torque, [email protected] RPM, than our Frontiers which are [email protected] RPM and [email protected] RPM respectively!

So what's the Pathfinder got that we don't got, and how do we get it? I want that extra 5 HP and 7 pounds of torque! Is this possibly an adjustment we can do ourselves?

·
Registered
182 Posts
They have more weight. :?

My pops has a Pathfinder feels almost the same when driving it, (i'd rather drive my Frontier)

If I'm not mistaken too, the pathfinders are recommended to run on 91 octane, but shouldn't be a difference on the HP/torque #'s.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It could possibly be the intake routing and/or exhaust. My 2000 Grand Prix had 5 more Hp than my 1998 and the biggest difference was the airbox setup. Cheap upgrade for older GP owners, buy a "stock" 2000-2003 airbox and a K&N 5-8 Hp.

·
Registered
24 Posts
possibly more agressive computer settings/timing since its recommended to have a higher octane is my best guess, but the intake/exhuast route might be a better guess. =0

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its also possible that it is just marketing inflating the numbers for the SUV (or dropping the numbers for the truck). Its a very small difference.

·
Registered
48 Posts
typerr: Could be, because how can you sell a Pathfinder over the X if the X is less $? Granted the Pathfinder has more options but the are both 4-door SUVs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not to bring up something a little old but, i just traded my titan and they are rated at 305 and the infinity is rated at 315. both use the same engine and ecu but the titan runs on regular and the infinity requires premium. the power difference is in the fuel because the ecu's in nissans adjust the timing to suit the higher octane fuel. my titan dyno'd 9 hp higher after running 93 octane for a month.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Rev. already tested the frontier on a dyno with and without premium, the higher octane just moved the power band around a little with barely if any changes to the actual power output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FuzzyRag said:
Rev. already tested the frontier on a dyno with and without premium, the higher octane just moved the power band around a little with barely if any changes to the actual power output.
fuel wouldnt matter much... its all in the ECU... according to my rep at Nissan

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
ECU= Electronic Control Unit or something similar to that. It is the computer in the car that controls everything in the car (engine, transmission, electronics, etc.).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the #'s are fudged slightly to keep the people paying big dollars for a Pathfinder happy. I'm new to the truck market, but VW and Audi did the same thing with their VR3.2 engine last year. 240hp in the VW - 250hp for the Audi. Same engine, same ECU - just gotta keep the little man down.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, what ever happened to truth in advertising?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts