Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting on behalf of my brother who owns an '07 Frontier NISMO auto transmission. He has not done anything to the truck under the hood. He described, then I verified the following symptoms:
Truck starts up just fine, idles fine for as long as you want it to. Not low idle and not high idle. Start driving, and within a minute or two, it begin to die, then turn back on. Simply loses all power (I mean it completely turns off, including the lighting, so the hazards don't even work). Then, very quickly (ranging from a half second to 5 seconds), it all turns back on and keeps going until the next episode. Weird to note that after an episode or two of this, the transmission feels really sluggish. Hit the gas from a stop and the RPMs climb to 2K and the truck just sloooowly begins to move forward (as if it has a really heavy trailer or the converter is not locking up properly). Also, after all this, the 4WD does not work (4WD indicator screen on gauges displays nothing and rotating the 4WD selector knob does nothing). After parking it, again, it runs just fine at idle without issue.

What we've tried:
Reading the codes: the only code we saw when I checked the codes was the P0507 Idle Control System RPM - Higher Than Expected. When I read through the forums mentioning that code, I didn't come across anything similar to these issues (hence the new discussion). Checked all the fuses and relays (all functioning properly).

Please provide your insight.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Sounds like a battery or bad power connection. These trucks do not like low voltage it will cause truck to go into safe mode and cause all kinds of 4wd indicator troubles among other problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a battery or bad power connection. These trucks do not like low voltage it will cause truck to go into safe mode and cause all kinds of 4wd indicator troubles among other problems.
Okay, I'll Chase that down. I did notice that the voltage of the charging system was at 13.2. Is that high or low for these?

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Unlike most vehicles our frontiers have a variable charge rate - usually between 13.2 to 14.4 v this is controlled by load on battery, it is detected by sensor on ground return cable. if you follow ground cable on battery you will see that it passes through a ring like device that detects the current load. You stated that all lights go out when you have trouble still sounds like a battery or ground issue.

·
Registered
2014 Crew Cab SV 4x4
161 Posts
Lights went out everything while it was sputtering. Once it died all lights came back on. Had it happen a few times while driving down the highway. I got really good at throwing it in neutral and cranking while coasting, in an automatic.

On a side note, two weeks ago I actually had to replace the crankshaft position sensor in one of my wife's friends car. '09 Maxima, it acted the exact same way as my truck did except it would only idle for about 15-20 seconds before dying. Thinking that has to do with the variable exhaust timing on it since my truck doesn't have that. It never threw a code on it, but swapped out the sensor and she has been driving it since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Resolved. We found out the issue was a bad connection at the speed sensor out of the transmission. He had been out mudding somewhere and the connectors on the undercarriage had been jammed full of much. We cleaned them all out and the have not had any more issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all, It 's Alex; Daniel's brother. After a lot of looking, working and researching, I came to no avail and the truck kept on dying. One day the battery died so i went and replaced it. Two days later the battery battery died and I was stuck. So I went and got a new alternator. after installing the new alternator, the truck started and ran perfectly for 6ish months. Then the problems came back. The same ones. Conveniently, it happened after another off-road/mudding session. So I went back and cleaned all the transmission sensors again and a lot more. I went to wiring harness and did more research. In all of this, I discovered that my power steering fluid reservoir had a crack and one of the guys who did my body work didn't put the the clip on the lower hose and i was leaking fluid. I thought from the beginning that the leak was too small to do any harm but then I realized that it was leak right onto the alternator. I had my dad come look and listen to see if he can give me a diagnosis. He looked, listened, revved and more and told me that it may be the alternator even though I had put a brand new one recently and had it tested at Advanced Auto. So I went out on a limb because I was hopeless. i didn't want to hash out a ton of money to get a new alternator, so I called a junk yard to see if they had a used but working alternator. Picked it up and put it on. To this day, the truck drives like new. Long story short, don't let your power steering fluid leak onto your alternator. I had the crack sealed, the hose put on properly and all assembled. The truck works and keeps on going even at 170k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts