Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my stepson's motor finally failed and now I'm wondering what his truck is worth the way it sits.
It's a 2006 ext. cab SV, 4x4, V6, in average condition with 150K. He owes $8K for it and I'm guessing it would cost at least $3-4K to get it going again.
So we would have $12K in a $9K truck or sell it for what we can get and pay the difference.
Should we sink the money into it or cut our losses?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I guess in part it on depends whether he likes the truck and wants to keep it. I'd be surprised if you could sell or part out an SV frontier as is for 8K.

If it were me I'd check what a motor costs from a salvage yard and what a new motor costs (plus install costs) vs having to replace the truck with something else. I like my frontier so I'd be leaning toward just putting in a used motor.

That sucks the motor died! What happened?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He likes it but he's struggling to make the payments. I was thinking if we could get $3,500 for it and pay the difference it would get him out of his debt and then just get a cheaper car.
I'm not sure why, but at 140K is started burning oil heavily. We just bought it at 130K and it was fine. I stay on him about checking the oil, but I guess the damage was already done. It pushed a rod through the block.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Might be better to get into something with easier payments.

The problem is that it's a high mileage 11 year old truck. My girlfriend and I were car shopping this week, and her 2009 car with 270,000km is worth 250 for scrap. And it still runs. Your sons truck might not be worth much more than that.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'd get rid of it - if engine shot, other things will go wrong soon. Probably has had very hard use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd get rid of it - if engine shot, other things will go wrong soon. Probably has had very hard use.
It didn't appear that way when we bought it. It was a one owner, very clean truck. But it did have a hitch on it.
I think the engine damage occurred when the cats failed and clogged the exhaust. That's when the increased oil consumption began.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Looking at the numbers you put up, you think putting 4K into it will let you sell it for 9K, so you loose 3K if you sell it, or less if you can get the repair cheaper. Even if you can get 3K for it the way it is you loose 5K.
I'm seeing engines from 1.5 to 3K, but here is a 2006 engine with 67000 miles that they offer a warranty on that you should be able to get to your door for 2.5K, but if you just plan to sell it you could get something cheaper.
For Sale Used 2006 Nissan Frontier 4.0L Engine @ BUYUSEDENGINE.COM
So it is hit or miss, but remember that unless you have the money to pay out the loan, there is a chance the finance company may not let you sell it.

Reactions: RedFox67

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I know I'm losing money either way. I already paid for $3K in repairs.
I appreciate the used engine links.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
It didn't appear that way when we bought it. It was a one owner, very clean truck. But it did have a hitch on it.
I think the engine damage occurred when the cats failed and clogged the exhaust. That's when the increased oil consumption began.

Thanks for your feedback everyone.
I'd go through the rest of the truck with a fine toothed comb... how is it for rust? Most of the SVs have hitches (dealer logic: it's a truck, that means you have to tow) so that doesn't necessarily mean anything... Is it an auto? If yes, I'd have a sample of ATF sent to Blackstone to get an idea what condition the trans is in. If they say its had a hard life, that could be your answer. It would suck if you put a new motor in only to have the trans to go 6mos later. BUT if the trans is in good shape, and the frame & everything else is looking good, then he'd have a dependable ride for another 10+ yrs

Blackstone Labs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd go through the rest of the truck with a fine toothed comb... how is it for rust? Most of the SVs have hitches (dealer logic: it's a truck, that means you have to tow) so that doesn't necessarily mean anything... Is it an auto? If yes, I'd have a sample of ATF sent to Blackstone to get an idea what condition the trans is in. If they say its had a hard life, that could be your answer. It would suck if you put a new motor in only to have the trans to go 6mos later. BUT if the trans is in good shape, and the frame & everything else is looking good, then he'd have a dependable ride for another 10+ yrs

Blackstone Labs
I should have been more specific. It has an aftermarket hitch with a 7-pin connector. That would lead me to believe it has done some heavy duty towing.
It has no rust. It was purchased in Hawaii and moved to Texas the following year. It tracks well and we have already replaced the cats, u-joints, and tires and brakes. What's an auto tranny cost to replace? We may as well continue restoring it. LOL
Thanks for the Blackstone tip. I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it was probably the cat problem. i've heard of that issue on some of the older frontier engines. nissan may even cover a replacement. it's worth a shot if it can be proven the cat clogging caused the problem.
If I had taken it to a Nissan dealer they may have done so. My mechanic is going to look for a used engine locally, compare it to a rebuilt long block, and if those don't work out we'll order one online that TruckIt found.

·
Super Moderator
11,273 Posts
Many Nissans have had the cats break apart and suck pieces into the cylinders and cause catastrophic failures. Hope you find a way out of this that's not too bad. It's nice to see how you're looking out for him.

Clint

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I should have been more specific. It has an aftermarket hitch with a 7-pin connector. That would lead me to believe it has done some heavy duty towing.
It has no rust. It was purchased in Hawaii and moved to Texas the following year. It tracks well and we have already replaced the cats, u-joints, and tires and brakes. What's an auto tranny cost to replace? We may as well continue restoring it. LOL
Thanks for the Blackstone tip. I hadn't thought of that.
The 7-pin is the preferred OEM (assuming they installed the oem kit in the passenger kickpanel and didn't splice something in) and when I bought my truck they first tried to sell it to me with an aftermarket hitch so that's not unheard of... Blackstone can tell you for ~ $25 a strong indication of trans health. If you haven't yet, changing the diffs & xfer case will also indicate health.

If I had taken it to a Nissan dealer they may have done so. ....
your mechanic may still be able to get some refund/assistance from Nissan. It doesn't hurt to ask your mechanic and local dealers if they will support... I would start by talking with dealers and explaining what happened (cats plugging, engine falure...) and go from there. If there is an active 'recall' or whatever and they are interested in earning your business I'd expect them to help where they can

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found a used engine locally with 111K for $1700. I'm going to change the timing belt for good measure.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
we have timing chains, though you might want to change the chain guides.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
here is what you would work on

1 - 19 of 19 Posts