Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an idea to make my frontier warm up faster. I’m in no way saying that I know this will work but looking for someone to help me on this. Ok so you would need a Nissan frontier engine block heater. You would cut the 120 volt plug end off and wire it to and volt source wire in the truck (12-volt DC power outlet). A switch would be wired in between the block heat and 12 volt source wire. Both the engine block heater and the switch would be ground. So my idea is that you would start your truck (cold start). After starting the truck you would flip the switch to turn on the engine block heater. So my thinking is that the heater would help the truck warm up faster. Before the temp gauge showed that the truck had warmed up you would shut it off. So one is this safe for the truck and for the driver? And the second can a 120 volt plug be wired to 12 volt?

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
lets just say that a 120v 800watt heater will draw ~ 7.5 amps. At 12 volts it will need to draw about 75 amps. So it won't work.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,482 Posts
and not just that, the OEM block heater is so weak that there would be minimal to no gains. it needs to be on for hours in cold weather to make a marginal difference. i had my block heater plugged in all night, the temp outside was 14f and when i scanguaged before starting, the coolant temp was 60f. for comparison - on my VW, the coolant with a heater was 160f with the same 14f outside temp.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is when I leave work my truck is just warming up by the time I pull in my drive way.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'd say invest in the oil pan heater pads, got one installed on my ride and it works like a charm in the winter, can really feel the difference on days that I forget to plug it in and days I plug it in @ -20C

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get a winter front or grill cover. This will allow your truck to retain heat better and heat up faster.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Or your could ride a bike.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i had a 95 f-150 with the I-6 and i got just a generic blockheater from the autoparts store and when i started the truck in the morning within a matter of a min. it was blowing warm air.....i may see if they make one to fit the frontier

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.