Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trusty 98 Fronty I've had since new has developed a whine somewhere in the engine bay. It's the 2.4 DOHC, automatic with 189,000 miles on it. Anyway, the whine started off and on a couple of months ago when it was cold and go away after a couple miles. It's developed into a constant whine with an underlying tingy rattle. My (non Nissan) mechanic had it today and can't find it. He took off all the belts, ran it and the noises were still there. The noise is such that it sounds like it's coming from everywhere. I thought it was the trans, but he doesn't. The truck drives, runs and shifts as always. the whine is RPM dependent. It still whines in neutral while coasting and the whine gets louder with higher RPMs. I think it may be the timing chain or a bearing going on the oil pump. Anyone have a thought on my problem? Is the 2.4 an interference engine if the chain lets go? I know it has allot of miles on it, but I've replaced some key parts on it (gas tank , fuel pump, leaf springs, shocks, calipers and such) and hate to give it up for unknown problem. I'm afraid it's a catastrophic failure coming soon.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
it could be the chain with that many miles.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine Bay Whine followup

I thought I'd share what the whine turned out to be. After having the timing chain, sprockets and tensioners replaced, the whine was still there. :(
I brought home a mechanic stethoscope from work and finally found the whiner. It was the A/C idler pulley. :) Now the truck is quiet again and I guess thanks to the new timing chain kit, it's got more power and the MPG is better. Allot of money spent on the chain and stuff but hopefully will extend the engines life a bit.

·
Registered
154 Posts
After having the timing chain, sprockets and tensioners replaced, the whine was still there. :(
I brought home a mechanic stethoscope from work and finally found the whiner. It was the A/C idler pulley. :)
^^ doesn't make sense in the context of -->>

He took off all the belts, ran it and the noises were still there.
sounds like your mechanic was hard up for cash. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts