Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that has always bugged me when I get into other people's vehicles is that they don't adjust their mirrors properly. All they do is overlap their side mirrors with their rear view and generate massive blind spots. Done properly, blind spots can be eliminated....

I've been adjusting my mirrors like this for years and find that it works great. Thought I'd share it with you guys. And personally, I think this is definite sticky material.

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots - wikiHow

How to Set Rearview Mirrors to Eliminate Blind Spots

It may surprise you to learn that there is a better way to set the rearview mirrors on your car. The quick test: if you look in your side mirrors and you see the side of the car, then you've got it wrong! This is the method recommended at most driving schools, including the BMW Performance Center in South Carolina. Essentially, most people have a huge overlap between the side and center rearview mirrors, which is unnecessary. By spreading your side mirrors you lose no information about what's behind you, but gain valuable insight into what's beside you.

1. Lean your head over until it almost touches the driver's window, and then position the side mirror on the car's left side so you can just see the rear quarterpanel (the rear of the car) in the mirror. Note this will have it positioned farther out than you probably had it before.
  2. Lean your head to be just between the two front seats, at your normal height, and position the right side mirror so you can just see the rear quarterpanel of the passenger side in the mirror.
  3. Adjust the center rearview mirror to place it facing the center of the rear window.
  4. While driving note that a car passing you begins in the center of your rearview mirror. As it approaches you, it moves to the side of your center rear view mirror, and at the same time appears in your side mirror. This shows you that there is no rear blind spot, because there is an overlap between the mirrors.
  5. Also note that your side mirrors now capture a tremendous additional amount of information about what is in the lanes immediately next to your car. Previously you would have to turn your head to ensure nothing was in the lanes beside your car before changing lanes. Now, your side mirrors do a much better job of covering this blind spot on the sides.
Tips
  • Give it at least a week after setting your mirrors this way. It will seem foreign at first but soon will become second nature.
  • Note that parallel parking becomes more difficult since you cannot see both your car and what's next to it in your side mirrors without moving your head.
  • Constantly scanning your mirrors instead of just checking them when you want to change lanes or pass someone will help to prevent someone from "sneaking" up on you. Pairing this mirror setting method with constant scanning will allow you to be aware of those around you at all times.
Warnings
  • Don't adjust mirrors while driving.
  • ALWAYS look over your shoulders before changing lanes! While this mirror method is very effective at reducing blind spots, one cannot depend on it to eliminate them. It is still possible for motorcycles, smaller cars, or even bicycles to hide in unexpected areas around your car.
  • Looking over your shoulders gives you additional necessary information about the behavior of traffic around you that you can never get from mirrors no matter how well they are placed.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i agree. it pisses me off when i see a rear view mirror tilted to face the driver. typically from a female applying makeup when driving. idiots.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
i agree. it pisses me off when i see a rear view mirror tilted to face the driver. typically from a female applying makeup when driving. idiots.
Its because your in Cali... lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just do this suggestion, it's always worked for me:
ALWAYS look over your shoulders before changing lanes! While this mirror method is very effective at reducing blind spots, one cannot depend on it to eliminate them. It is still possible for motorcycles, smaller cars, or even bicycles to hide in unexpected areas around your car.

Working for my pilots license got me to put "my head on a swivle"; to always be looking at your surrounding environment which basically this step says to be doing:

Constantly scanning your mirrors instead of just checking them when you want to change lanes or pass someone will help to prevent someone from "sneaking" up on you. Pairing this mirror setting method with constant scanning will allow you to be aware of those around you at all times.

I may try to see if this mirror idea actually helps me or not though, seems interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
It does sound interesting. I'll give it a go on my way home from work.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Often, I see people driving with their side view mirrors folded in which means they never use them.

Clint

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Often, I see people driving with their side view mirrors folded in which means they never use them.

Clint
Mine get folded in when I 4x4... But I hate to do it even then... I freak out when I cant see whats behind me...

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
That is the way that I have mine set and I do a head check as well since I took the MSF course when I bought my R1150RT in 2005.

OkieScot

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I'm going to have to try this on the way home.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I've been setting them that way for years. Virtually eliminates blind spots, if you constantly scan them to be aware of your road.
Your road: 3 cars in front, 3 to the rear, squared across 3 lanes, yours being the center. It's your job to control this area and the mirror adjustment helps immensely.

STICKEY!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Only at a red light and it's a busy intersection! Everyone knows that!

I have a wide rear view mirror, I thought it looked a little funky in my pick up at first, but my friends really like it and I have no blind spots whatsoever. & I don't have to touch my mirror for the makeup checks/touch ups! Lol

My only blind spot is when wearing certain types of shades, the sides block my peripheral vision and I'll check all mirrors, then do a quick turn just in case.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
i have learned about this "technique" a few years ago and i have since used it in whatever it is i am driving. it took me a while to get used to it but nowadays i am uncomfortable if i see the side of my truck in my side mirrors.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Been basically doing this for more than 20 years.

Also, I have one of those small wide angle mirrors on the driver's side outside mirror.
That little guy really helps when changing lanes on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Reset mine this morning. I know I said I'd do it last night but I forgot until I was halfway home.

It's a little different, but I instantly noticed that I have a much better picture of what's happening around me. I admit, I always had my side mirrors adjusted so I could see the back edge of my truck. This will take a little bit to get used to but I can definitely see the advantages. Thank you for this post.

Sticky for idiots like me who've been doing it wrong the last 10 years.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I've been doing this since I started driving and it is the only way to set up your mirrors, the only problem is I can't get my Frontier's driver's mirror to go out far enough. I only have to move my head a little and can see the rear quarter panel so I'm always worried the a biker is sitting in that small blind spot to my left. It's normally not a big deal since I alway still look before changing lanes, but there are those times when I need to quickly switch lanes to keep from getting hit from an idiot not paying attention, and have to move into that lane hoping nobody's there.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've found that on mine, if I try to rotate it out further, it'll pop back towards me by a few degrees. If I stop it just before it pops back, its just about right where I want it to be.
I found this to be true also.

I reset my mirrors like this on Monday before leaving campus. It's very difficult to get used to. I don't like not being able to see my rear bumper; but the reduction in blind spots is tremendous. I just saw what a difference it made today, when someone that was tailgating to pass; passed me and I didn't lose sight of them at all. I did notice though that to get the BEST view you have to tilt your head to about the same position that you had it when you set the mirrors. Other than that I love the new position, and am slowly becoming more accustom to the new view.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts