Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I have had this happen a couple of times over the last week. Problem is I unlock and start the car, and without warning the headlights come on and stay on regardless of headlight switch position, and a few bits and pieces don't work, things like indicators, hazards, A/C, e.t.c. High beams work as they should. Switching off and restarting fixes the problem. Anyone had this or heard of it before, I'm worried as time goes on its going to become a bit more permanent.

Car is a MY08 D40 2.5LD man.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi all,
I have had this happen a couple of times over the last week. Problem is I unlock and start the car, and without warning the headlights come on and stay on regardless of headlight switch position, and a few bits and pieces don't work, things like indicators, hazards, A/C, e.t.c. High beams work as they should. Switching off and restarting fixes the problem. Anyone had this or heard of it before, I'm worried as time goes on its going to become a bit more permanent.

Car is a MY08 D40 2.5LD man.
I have had exactly the same thing happen to my 08 D40 V6 auto. The same symtoms you have described, headlights, indicators, wipers. It has happened to me several dozen times, on most if I turn off the truck it will not restart. I have discovered if I move the main wiring loom to the +ve battery terminal it will start. I have also noticed that the engine idles about 200rpm higher than normal as well and returns to normal when restarted. One thing about the indicators is although there is no indication on the dash mine are actually working.
I have had it into the dealer several times for it, in fact on two occassions I drove to the dealer when it was in this state, so they have seen it. To this point it has not been fixed, they have checked and cleaned all the earth points, all the wires to the +ve terminal on the battery even the fuses in this loom have been resoldered. There is never any fault codes so they are at a loss. This problem has been with my truck since the first month I had it and seems to be worse during winter or after heavy rain periods.
My truck is not being used at the moment due to surgery but it is due for a service soon so I'm going to get them to have another look and also I'll let them know someone else has had the same problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like to me you may have some wire chaffing in a harness, I would get it checked out. Sounds like to me that you have two or more wires that may be making contact and energizing the headlights, etc. Hopefully nothing serious, but I wouldn't want to see your truck catch on fire in a worse case scenario.....Only issue is this problem is a pain to troubleshoot...hope you're under warranty. Maybe Nissan knows about it and may offer a solution.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nissan have been contacted by my dealer for advice but no solution has been offered.
The dealer went thru all the looms visually looking for any damaged wiring and have checked connectors/plugs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
This may or may not be related...but there have been reports of Patrols suffering electrical gremlins too - and the root cause relates (in the case of the patrol) to poor grounding.

The long term solution has been to install an additional earth lead from the battery to the vehicle body. Easy to make (or buy pre-made) and install. All you need to do is locate a suitable earthing point on the body.

As I said - may or may not be the same issue, but certainly can't do any harm whatsoever.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This may or may not be related...but there have been reports of Patrols suffering electrical gremlins too - and the root cause relates (in the case of the patrol) to poor grounding.

The long term solution has been to install an additional earth lead from the battery to the vehicle body. Easy to make (or buy pre-made) and install. All you need to do is locate a suitable earthing point on the body.

As I said - may or may not be the same issue, but certainly can't do any harm whatsoever.
The Navara has had these same reports according to one of the techs at my dealer. They removed all earths cleaned boths contacts and refitted. This was the first thing they did, but the extra earth is definately worth trying.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hope it works - sincerely.

It was interesting that it wasn't so much that the earth was BAD on the Patrols (from my recollection) but that it was insufficient or something along those lines.

If it does work, it's a cheap solution. And would be worthwhile doing on a vehicle that doesn't display any symptoms as a preventative measure.

If it works for you, I'll certainly do it to my vehicle :)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I seem to remember there was something ages ago about the wiring harness was rubbing up under the dash and wasnt visible till the dash was pulled out. The truck runs on basically 0 to 1 volt logic so takes bugger all to upset it .

·
Registered
239 Posts
With mine 95% of the time I have the electrical gremlin, unless I give the wire harness to the battery +ve a tug my truck will not restart for love nor money. I 'll mention the extra earth and Aussie's suggestion of the harness behind the dash when I next bring the truck in to the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've had an extra earth lead on for about a week now and it hasn't done its thing again yet. I honestly can't really say for sure if this has fixed it or not because it only happened a couple of times before, and may never had happened again even without the earth lead.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm hoping for you too. The times the dealer has had a go at fixing the problem, my truck could go 3 months before the gremlin reared it's head again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just arrived home from a 20,000k trip around Oz. Started to suffer electrical problems a few weeks in. Started out needing to stand right at the drivers door for the key opener to work, then the dash lights started to flicker as well as indicators flashing erratically. Next my second battery stopped recharging causing the fridge to play up. After much frustration, took it to Nissan in Broome, the tech thought the BCM was playing up but the auto elec was on holidays so they were reluctant to put in a RO. as it was showing any problems when they took it for a test drive (typical) So I put up with it and continued on my holiday.
After 8 weeks of, off and on electrical problems, I finally discovered that the battery earth lead had come loose off the body, the bolt was basically in only by a few threads (just enough of a connection) but the connections on the motor and battery terminal where secure. Took 10 seconds to retighten the bolt, and all my problems where fixed!.
So If you start to have strange electrical problems I would reccomend checking your earth lead first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts