Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there running an elctric fan on their Frontier? If so whats the specs on it? Just curious...

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i'm running a flex-a-lite black magic extreme. pulls 3,300 cfm, but its not really enough for my heavy pig on the hot days in the desert. i never run warm when i'm crawling, but climbing grades on the highway i got to watch the temp gauge.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was that vehicle specific from flex-a-lite of did you have to make a bracket, or do custom install?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
it came with "universal" brackets which are just sheet metal that you can bend to use as a bracket or a clamp. you can see the upper clamps on top of the radiator. i have never had a problem with it coming loose.

please excuse the messy engine bay, i know it looked like garbage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet. looks like its good coverage on the rad. Im at work now, do you know the measurements on the OE rad by chance? No big deal if you dont.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i don't, but i remember its about 19" deep (same as the fan shroud) and leaves about 1.75" uncovered on each side of the radiator.

·
Registered
890 Posts
i forget his user name might be like joefrontier or something but i belive he is using a maxima efan on his, im sure if you search for it you can find it eventually, if not maybe he will chime in, but i know a few people have done em

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yep joefrontier2.... has one!

I run the 1990 Maxima fan with a SPAL controller. Dual fan.

The first fan will turn on slow and ramp up as needed. When the first fan cannot cool the engine the second fan comes on full. Never had it over heat on me. However, I do not rock crawl or drive up and down hills.

I don't recommend cheap controllers. I almost bought a Flex-a-lite, but went with SPAL because of the warranty and the encloser.

There is a small quick with the controller though and you have to sent it out to SPAL tech support to get the diagnostics turned off due to our trucks electrical setup (or maybe it was just mine). If you decide to go with SPAL I can give you tech supports name.

Your truck will sound quieter when you get that mechanical fan off.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Well I can't say what kind of HP you will gain from this because I have no idea. But I will say that you are turning a 20 lb piece of metal around all the time by the engine.

And yes one advantage is that the truck sounds quieter.

Besides, for me it was a project just to do.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i dont mean to threadjack, but beef, is it ok to have your reservoirs right above the block like that? bein exposed to all that heat and whatnot it seems like it could have a bad effect on the oil or nitrogen... whatever youre using.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
not the greatest location, i know. i should have got 90* fittings from the factory and put the reservoirs on the shock hoops, but it was just one of those things that slipped my mind.
if i was racing the truck, it would be a problem, but since the primary use is rock crawling, its not a problem. in racing applications the shocks get hotter then they would just sitting over the motor like that, so no harm is done.

the biggest advantage of the efan for me was having a fan running at 100% while crawling, which produces very little air movement in the engine bay. i have never ran warm while crawling, which is a problem for some 1st gens that crawl. overheating on the freeway when climbing grades is an issue of radiator efficiency, not really fan functionality.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Interesting things to consider. I might end up doing this, too. I probably will, considering it's going to take me a bit to save up enough dough for suspension and a good set of wheels/tires.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Along with the eFan, was it ever fully confirmed that the superchager radiator is thicker (double bypass) compared to the standard NA radiator?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I vote against this mod. An electric fan doesn't pull as much air as the stock fan. There is no measurable gain in hp either. The electric motor can fail, many go bad. I use to have one on my 300zxTT. I felt it was a mod that I could have gone without. Eventually I went back to stock fan b/c of heat issues. Maybe for rock crawling it may help at idle, but anything above say 1500-2000rpms the stock fan will pull more air, and best of all, its already in there.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Here is another benefit. I live in a cold climate. So with an efan nothing is pulling cold air across the radiator before the truck warms up. The truck warms up sooner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good info on this topic. It was just something I was considering doing. Seems like it would be fairly beneficial to swap in an E-fan. Not too hard of an install and not too pricey. I WOULD like to know how much, if any of a gain in HP or torque it may produce. Aside from the intake and exhaust I think this would be a great way for the trail guys to get a little bit of that extra power out of the power robbed 1st gen 3.3...How would the fan be effected by that soupy mud-water though? Surely brief exposure wouldn't foul it out??

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2000 CC came with an electric fan on the grill side of the rad and the stock belt driven one. Was this because of the more restrictive grill opening? Or was it an SE thing...

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
what it really comes down to is if you really need it or not. if you go to a desert event, all of the trucks are running high performance efans.
what it really boils down to is; do you need it or not?

·
Registered
578 Posts
My 2000 CC came with an electric fan on the grill side of the rad and the stock belt driven one. Was this because of the more restrictive grill opening? Or was it an SE thing...
mine has that too, also an SE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts