Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The electric cooling fan on my '99 v6, 4x4, does not work. Is this a standard part or a factory item? I cant find any mention of it in threads or my owners manual. It has the usual clutch type belt-driven fan as well. I would think it should come on when there is high heat, or any time the a/c is turned on to push more air past the condenser. Any thoughts where to start trouble shooting the problem?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Are you running hot with the AC on ? My daughter has a '98 Pathfinder 4WD (heavier) with same engine as you - in Arizona, doesn't run hot or overheat. She has only the stock fan clutch and its cooling fan.

So I think that electric fan is a band-aid someone threw on to combat an in-town running hot or overheat condition. Such running hot in town is typically linked to bad fan clutch, fan shrouding not intact, thermostat, or cap.

That electric fan - even if spinning - won't do anything at highway speeds anyway, the ram effect of moving fast will cool the radiator. Running hot at highway speeds is typically due to bad radiator, thermostat, or cap.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
An electric fan (as well as the belt drive fan with clutch) was used on V6 models with A/C. It is still available from Nissan and runs about $112 from online dealers, not including shipping; it's Nissan P/N: 92120-4S100. Spectra Premium also makes a direct-fit replacement and is P/N: CF23026; Rockauto.com sells it for $54+shipping.
The fan should turn on when the air conditioning is working. If you turn on the A/C and the compressor clutch is not engaging, you will have to fix the A/C system, first; it could be low on freon or something else. If the compressor clutch engages when you turn on the A/C, and the fan does not, you can unplug the fan and do a component test to make sure it works by supplying a power and ground directly to it. If it doesn't turn, you'll need a new electric fan. If it does, then you have some trouble-shooting to do, such as check the fuses, check the relay for the fan, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the input guys. The vehicle is not running hot and the a/c functions perfectly without the fan. The purchase was primarily to tow a boat so I will take all the cooling I can get, especially in South Florida. Need to trouble shoot the issue. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok problem was the plastic fan was broken apart at the center so the motor was turning nothing. Replaced with aftermarket but was told it does not turn on with the a/c. Only when the engine is over a certain temp. Install was easy since the NEW RADIATOR install required the entire assembly being dismantled. The radiator was my fault...note to all: never never over tighten the radiator hose clamp. Plastic radiator....yep broke the snout right off. Luckily the radiator was only $78.. so not a huge deal. Live and learn.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Good troubleshooting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So the electric fan does not immediately engage with the AC system?
Fan is good, relay is needing a ground.
Maybe I replaced the ETR thermo switch in the supply ductfor nothing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts