Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By sucking for the truck I mean sucking the life out of batteries. It would appear that my "new" battery has died. That makes it at least one a year for the last, oh I don't know, say 4 years. I had a battery die on my truck and got an Autozone Gold battery. A year later it went out, took it back got another, the next year rinse and repeat.

Last year, which was again a year later I could tell it was going out and since I knew the 3 year warranty was up and I would have to buy a new one I decided to go with a Sears one. I got their 3 year battery back in November just before Thanksgiving since we were driving to Houston and didn't want it to die on me. It just so happens that the next day the old battery died and I dropped in the new one. Well today, just about 8 months later the battery died again.

So why would my truck eat up batteries? I have done nothing special. I do have a 2-meter HAM radio that is rarely even turned on, and I was having these same issues before I installed it. I have it charging up now, I will check it later to see if it will work for now. Last time I checked the charging was fine and not over/under charging. I'll check it again too.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Batteries suck - my 2008 usually gets 2-3 yrs but had one go bad in 4 mo. My wifes old 1998 saturn killed 2 in 9mo and now has gone 24 mo. I believe they all are just cheaply made and it is the luck of the draw if you get a good or bad one!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
You have an aftermarket stereo, HAM radio, and GPS - these tied to an always on circuit or key on? Even with key on, would check your amp draw to rule that out. It could just be the luck of the draw (no pun intended) with a bad battery. Not sure what your commute is like - shorter distances wouldn't allow the alternator to charge the battery too.

With my amp, stereo, dash cams, radar detector, GPS & Smart Remote Starter I have a high off key amp draw and occasionally require trickle charging my battery. Went with an Optima Yellow top which has held up a few years now. I wish Sears still made the Platinum Die hard and would have opted for that instead. Tons of replacement options, but before getting a new battery would do some diagnostics.

Hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Yellow top over everything!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yellow top over everything!!!!!!!
I would much prefer to use a good proper battery instead.

They are intended to be a deep cycle storage battery and not designed for high currents such as engine starting. red top is the starting battery, blue top is the marine battery (hybrid of a deep cycle with high current potential for engine starting).

Get out of the 90's and into modern times and there are even better batteries out there.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,814 Posts
I've been lucky to get 4 years out of a battery as well. The last one I bought was from Napa, which had a three years no questions asked swap out and then pro rated for another 2 years; low and behold, the battery was toast within three years, so in went a new one. I think our alternators suck.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Here in Arizona heat, 2.5 years from a new battery is about average.

I will say that my '98 Frontier ate quite a few batteries over a 4-year span, it was an intermittent short or "closure" inside the electrical part of the ignition switch. All fixed now, and easy fix too.

You may also have a parasitic drain, Google that, can happen with bad alternators.

Very much doubt that brand of battery has anything to do with this; most batteries in USA are from one source: Johnson Controls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts