Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 sv 4x4 crew cab long box, value package.
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a bit on here about guys doing the reset procedure and having some claimed results with mpgs and rough idle etc. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. Is the reset procedure the same for all 2005+ ? I have a 2016. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
ECU (or, "ECM") reset is a general term some people use. Some just think of it as disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnecting it, but on a Gen 2, doing that could erase some of the learned settings, like the steering wheel position or the idle air volume. Some refer to erasing the self-learning memory and/or relearning the idle air volume as "resetting" the ECU. The VQ40DE is infamous for a slightly rough idle. Raising the base idle speed about 50-75 RPM tends to make it a little smoother, but you need a capable scan tool or tuner to do that. Idle air volume can be relearned without a scan tool, but it can be difficult at times and time consuming if it doesn't go right the first time. The ECU wants to see a specific set of parameters before it will complete the relearn process. Idle air volume relearns are typically done when there is high idle with or without a P0505 or P0507 code, or when a change to the air intake system has been made, such as a new MAS or after an aftermarket intake system is installed. Both procedures are in the factory service manual (NICO Club has them at their site) or you can find them on YouTube. I've never gotten better gas mileage by doing any of them, BTW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for the info, I was skeptical of any results for trying it. I guess I shouldn't complain about mpg. Compared to my old jeep the the frontier is fantastic. I am however experiencing the infamous passenger seat vibration. If you have any cured for that I would be grateful.

·
Banned
583 Posts
Don't get the jeep thing, my old 98 cherokee with 4.0 straight six got 20-22mpg day in and day out.Best and simpilest motor I've had.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't get the jeep thing, my old 98 cherokee with 4.0 straight six got 20-22mpg day in and day out.Best and simpilest motor I've had.
My 2012 Wrangler sport with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires only got 12 mpg, on a good day.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Wow thanks for the info, I was skeptical of any results for trying it. I guess I shouldn't complain about mpg. Compared to my old jeep the the frontier is fantastic. I am however experiencing the infamous passenger seat vibration. If you have any cured for that I would be grateful.
It "could" be due to a bad U-joint in the front driveshaft. I had a similar issue on my R51 Pathfinder. The front driveshaft turns all of the time, regardless of whether it's in 4-wheel drive or not. Mine had a little play in the rear U-joint of the front shaft and when I got it apart, it was rusted out. Unfortunately, Nissan didn't put grease fittings on them. The OE parts are Spicer, which are available, but Moog is very good, as well. You can get either brand with or without grease fittings. I chose to get "with."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts