Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a six months of driving around listening to the crack in the passenger side manifold im ready to do something about it. I've got an 01 N/A 3.3 and the AC headers are awesome and all but i hate the price. While looking around on ebay i found these "aftermarket manifolds" for 70 bucks a pop:
3.3 NISSAN FRONTIER XTERRA 1999-04 EXHAUST MANIFOLD RH:eBay Motors (item 270431079244 end time Aug-20-09 17:08:35 PDT)

What do you guys think? Also has anyone changed a manifold or put headers on a frontier WITHOUT a body lift? If so how bad was it?

·
Registered
143 Posts
wow thats a good alternative. worth a shot for 70$ but labor? ouch!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Can't say that i have any experiance with the Ebay one but if you end up with them let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Talk To Txfront And He Will Tell You He Hated It And Would Never Do It Again

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I have the aftermarket 4x4 parts headers. I put them on before I put the body lift on and it was a true PITA and I have a header tick that will not go away to safe my life. And they throw a cell code from time to time why I have no idea. If I was to do it all over again I would just buy the stock manifolds.

Have you tired looking at Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market If I remember right you want the manifolds from 03 or 04 I think they have more flow

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Here is my advice.

Get a hold of the manifolds from an 03 or 04. You do have to watch out for the early model 03s as some engines had 02 headers on them.

Nissan claims 1mpg and 10hp gain of the 03 and 04 Frontiers and the only engine modification they did is the fix to the headers.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
ask what kind of warranty is on it

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
yeah i would just go with stock 03-04 manifolds. yeah aftermarket headers are nice and give you more hp but if you live in a state thats real strict on emissions it would be a real headache and PITA. check out junkyards on wrecked frontiers and xterras you might get them for cheap, and if you really wanted to get more power you could punch out the main cat on the manifold to get more power.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Go on Rockauto.com and get one for an 03 for $40 each.... thats my advice and that is what Im going to be doing...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here in quiet little Mifflin County, PA the only thing they do emissions wise is make sure you have a cat, a muffler, and no leaks. They dont even look to see if your gas cap seals tight. So i can pretty much do whatever i want.

Out of the three large junkyards here in my county NONE of them have any frontiers or even xterras. So, im not sure which way im gonna go yet.

What i can tell you guys is ill only be replacing the cracked side. theres no way im going through the pain if i dont have to on one side. Unless you think thats a bad idea?

Ill keep this updated.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
You might as well do both sides. if one cracked, its only a matter of time before the other cracks too.

The RockAuto.com idea is the best thus far. Its cheap and will get you what you want. Just do yourself a favor and soak the bolts on both sides of the manifold with PBblaster for a couple of days to make sure they are as loose as they could be. Then make sure you have a torch on-hand just in case there is a problem. A recipricating saw is also a plus, just make sure it isn't a battery powered one since you will piss thru that batter in no time flat.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I replaced my driver's side manifold about 6 months ago. I found it suprisingly easy. The biggest problem was getting the rear bolt out of the heat shield. I ended up using a hole saw w/a 12" shaft (no mandrel) to cut around the bolt, leaving it in the manifold. When I installed the new manifold (all work done thru the wheel well) I used a new bolt and an oversized washer on the heat shield rear bolt.
They're easier than they look, but some penetrating oil won't hurt. The $40 '03/'04s seem like the way to go. Dealer's gonna want $200 per.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Does anyone know if the '03-'04 manifolds would work on the late-'00 3.3l?

I want to say yes to this.... but not 100% sure.

The engine has never really changed so unless on 00 the bolt pattern would be different it should work.

Get your self the 00 service manual and a 03 manual and double check. Or have someone grab a picture of theirs.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I want to say yes to this.... but not 100% sure.

The engine has never really changed so unless on 00 the bolt pattern would be different it should work.

Get your self the 00 service manual and a 03 manual and double check. Or have someone grab a picture of theirs.
they bolt up.... but on the 99 and 00 model years, the EGR system piping is different.... nothing a little copper tubing cant fix... but it isnt gonna be a direct swap

actually come to think about it... 01 and up didnt have an EGR system.. at least i know xterra wise, they ditched the EGR system in the late 2000 model year production run.. its a crap shoot on if you have it or not

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Do ma a favor and take some pics man.... I have to do this and mine is only getting worse...

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of our service techs was replacing a passenger side manifold the other day. He said it was pretty easy after he got the heat shield off. To him, that was the biggest PITA. Everything was done through the fender well.

Hertz - I've been checking out the eBay manifolds too. They look like a great deal.

XE_King or anyone else know if the exhaust manifolds on RockAuto.com manufactured under the same specs as the 03-04 enhanced manifolds? I'd like to get that supposed 10hp increase. My 2003 SC probably has the 2002 manifolds.

BTW... Does anyone know why Pace Setter or OBX chose not to manufacture headers for our engines? It seems like a lot of manufacturers completely forgot about the thousands of Frontiers and Xterras rolling around out there. Heck, I'd love to have a SuperChip or something similar. Why don't they exist?!?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Do ma a favor and take some pics man.... I have to do this and mine is only getting worse...
yes plz do taske pics i also will be needing to do this because i must have some cracked manifolds the ticking is getting a lil old lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts