Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the forum but have been lurking and reading posts to try to learn more. But it seems like 90% of all the pictures for the posts are down. So getting back to the point of my post, I got a ebay gift card over the holidays; and thought about leveling my truck. The truck is a 2017 Frontier SV king cab 2WD, I am mainly trying to make it look aggressive with some extra performance and very occasional light offroad, but still want to be able to use it like a truck and occasional towing of sports cars. So down the road before I tow again I saw the forums about airbags in the rear and will plan to go that route but here is the lift kits I was thinking about I was hoping to get thoughts and opinions about them. Also I plan to keep the block in the rear no bigger than 1-2 inches to avoid axle wrap, and I want to avoid shackels as ebay sometimes has questionable parts and it's a lot harder to mess up a block of metal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Supreme seems to be a pretty reputable company from what I have gathered emailing back and forth. They were pretty quick to get back to me with my questions and their products are very well engineered and coated. I’m not sure if you have looked into all thats involved or not when lifting or even leveling these trucks but it’s well worth a read! To get alignment right you’ll need camber/castor bolts in LCAs but this is not always easy as it sounds. They will possibly be rusted in which means cutting them out which means new control arms also. I would suggest trying to turn them.. loosen the nuts then try to turn the bolt, all four lowers. If they turn freely then you’re safe, if not you could take it somewhere and have them try or you could go ahead and buy LCAs and be ready for install. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
This likely will not be what you want to hear, but for the long(er) run - it might be worth replacing your rear leaf springs w/ heavier duty units. These are most helpful for hauling/towing and will provide lift depending on the ones you install.
Over time, your factory leaf springs WILL flatten/sag - even faster if hauling/towing. Beyond this they'll form an inverted W shape and will need replacing at some point down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Supreme seems to be a pretty reputable company from what I have gathered emailing back and forth. They were pretty quick to get back to me with my questions and their products are very well engineered and coated. I’m not sure if you have looked into all thats involved or not when lifting or even leveling these trucks but it’s well worth a read! To get alignment right you’ll need camber/castor bolts in LCAs but this is not always easy as it sounds. They will possibly be rusted in which means cutting them out which means new control arms also. I would suggest trying to turn them.. loosen the nuts then try to turn the bolt, all four lowers. If they turn freely then you’re safe, if not you could take it somewhere and have them try or you could go ahead and buy LCAs and be ready for install. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum!
I am hoping they don't need to be cut out since the trucks only a couple of years old. Also I was reading somewhere on here that one of the newer trucks had the camber castor bolts from factory. I took a picture of them it kinda looks like the camber castor bolts but I am not sure. Every bit helps I am used to making cars going lower not higher so this is all new to me.
This likely will not be what you want to hear, but for the long(er) run - it might be worth replacing your rear leaf springs w/ heavier duty units. These are most helpful for hauling/towing and will provide lift depending on the ones you install.
Over time, your factory leaf springs WILL flatten/sag - even faster if hauling/towing. Beyond this they'll form an inverted W shape and will need replacing at some point down the road.
I eventually plan to replace the front shocks with something adjustable and replacing the rear leaf springs with something better as well; but that's down the road as the truck is only a couple of years old and everything still looks pretty good. I don't tow very often but when I do its usually a uhaul car hauler and the car; and only once or twice a year at max. Is there a leaf spring or company you would recommend that won't increase harshness when not towing? I really don't even know where to buy parts outside of the Nissan dealer and ebay, I have browsed nisstech as I have seen it on the forum but when it comes to leaf springs and lifts it's all new to me.
Since you plan on getting airbags for the rear, get the kit that does not include rear leaf spring blocks. The airbags will provide the lift you need.
The airbags will have to be later this year or next as money is a tad bit tight coming out of the holidays. Do the airbags increase towing weight at all or do they just help stabilize the truck? And how often do you have to check the pressures on the airbags, and is there any inspections that have to be done on a regular basis with them?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Is this the adjustable camber castor bolt or is it just a regular bolt and I still need the adjustable bolts?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Those are the regular bolts. You can shop around. I would stick with OEM.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

That’s a good price.. dummy me must have thought only My Nissan dealer would have these and paid for it! 😕

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That is an awesome price, the dealership here wanted 130. Thanks for the link that price is amazing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That is an awesome price, the dealership here wanted 130. Thanks for the link that price is amazing.
That ebay item doesn't appear to include the nuts. You can get the full OEM set here from nissanraceshop.com for $95 (plus shipping). They ship super fast and have great customer service from my experience.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
That ebay item doesn't appear to include the nuts. You can get the full OEM set here from nissanraceshop.com for $95 (plus shipping). They ship super fast and have great customer service from my experience.
Good eye,...they don’t come with nuts, that explains some of it but the nuts are only $2 a piece. I’m not sure but you could probably use the old nuts.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I forget where I ordered mine from 6 plus years ago, it didn't show the nuts on the site but came with them anyways. The old ones do work by the way.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
The airbags will have to be later this year or next as money is a tad bit tight coming out of the holidays. Do the airbags increase towing weight at all or do they just help stabilize the truck? And how often do you have to check the pressures on the airbags, and is there any inspections that have to be done on a regular basis with them?
The airbag increase the amount of weight you can load in the bed, while keeping it level. I guess it would increase tongue weight, but NOT total amount being towed. I regularly haul 2000lbs in my bed and still have a level ride. I hauled 3000lbs once, but that was stupid. When your back end sags due it lightens up the front wheels making the steering feel vague.

I never have to check of refill my bag in the first 11 years of ownership. Now I have developed a small leak in one of the bags. I actually think it is the line. I refill it when I remember maybe once a month.

If you lift the front 2.5 inches your truck will essentially be level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forget where I ordered mine from 6 plus years ago, it didn't show the nuts on the site but came with them anyways. The old ones do work by the way.
Awesome, I was nervous they wouldn't fit and I would have to wait on new nuts.
The airbag increase the amount of weight you can load in the bed, while keeping it level. I guess it would increase tongue weight, but NOT total amount being towed. I regularly haul 2000lbs in my bed and still have a level ride. I hauled 3000lbs once, but that was stupid. When your back end sags due it lightens up the front wheels making the steering feel vague.

I never have to check of refill my bag in the first 11 years of ownership. Now I have developed a small leak in one of the bags. I actually think it is the line. I refill it when I remember maybe once a month.

If you lift the front 2.5 inches your truck will essentially be level.
The more I hear about airbags the more I like them. Just have to wait till I can fit them in the budget.

By any chance does anyone know the torque specs for the bolts and nuts in the front and rear suspension I will be messing with, the instructions didn't have any torque specs. Or is it all German torque specs? Good'n'tight lol.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
ThatCar, you will not be removing any stock suspension bolts if you just cut off your rubber bump stops, like I did. We didn't use a torque wrench on the new bolts ( yeah, yeah, I know, rap my knuckles w/ a wooden ruler ) but just snugged them down quite well. They are self-locking deformed-steel nuts so they won't back out.
If you're doing the full lift, I believe all the torque specs are in the Nissan manual.

·
Registered
200 Posts
By any chance does anyone know the torque specs for the bolts and nuts in the front and rear suspension I will be messing with, the instructions didn't have any torque specs. Or is it all German torque specs? Good'n'tight lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to dive bomb this post, but does anybody know of a front leveling kit that's 1.5"
Have those of you that used the block leveling kits in front only, have you had any issues getting the alignment right on the truck afterward?

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry to dive bomb this post, but does anybody know of a front leveling kit that's 1.5"
Have those of you that used the block leveling kits in front only, have you had any issues getting the alignment right on the truck afterward?

Thanks
PRG makes a 1.5" x 1" mini lift with a spacer in the front and a block in the back: Frontier 1.5 x 1inch Mini Kit | PRGProducts.Com
They also sell just the front 1.5" spacers: Frontier/Xterra 1.5 inch Lift Spacers | PRGProducts.Com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts