Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm just wondering about maintenance on the e-brake. Does it need to be aligned or changed out any so often? I ask because earlier today as I was backing out from a sloped lot I heard a high pitched squeal almost like a whistle. I stopped and it was because I still had my e-brake engaged. I had done this one before backing out of a driveway, the angle wasn't as intense as this morning and the squeal wasn't as loud as today's yelp for help as well.

In all, I have no idea where or what I'm looking for to see if I caused any damage from both instances.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
yes, from time to time the ebrake cable needs to be adjusted. are you stick or auto? because if you are auto, there is really no reason to use it unless you are parking on a significant slope.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Roast,

Yup my truck is automatic. I use it on the slightest slopes so it doesn't stress out the transmission. Where do I look to see if it needs to be aligned?

·
Registered
881 Posts
yes, from time to time the ebrake cable needs to be adjusted. are you stick or auto? because if you are auto, there is really no reason to use it unless you are parking on a significant slope.

Um, I engage my e-brake every single time I stop to park my vehicle. Everywhere, every time. I've always done this on every vehicle I've every owned. No issues with tranmission fatigue, ever.

...just saying

·
Registered
923 Posts
i do it two its a habit

·
Registered
304 Posts
I to apply the parking brake every time I park my auto tranny frontier.

I dunno, just do.

& I apply it before I release the foot brake as to not allow movement on the auto tranny parking pawl.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
if you are auto and you are using your ebrake on flat ground while you tranny is in park it is not hurting anything. however, if you want to avoid having to adjust your ebrake from time to time, and always have a "strong" ebrake when you need it, don't use it while the tranny is in "park" with an auto, because there is no reason.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
i only use it park if i am driving a manual tranny......never with an auto on level ground

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Um, I engage my e-brake every single time I stop to park my vehicle. Everywhere, every time. I've always done this on every vehicle I've every owned. No issues with tranmission fatigue, ever.

...just saying
Same here. I always have the fear of my truck rolling. Or it moving slightly forward after i park it infront of another vehicle at the mall or grocery store.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
its only going to roll about 1.5" max if you are an auto. maybe don't park so close. :thefinger:

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
its only going to roll about 1.5" max if you are an auto. maybe don't park so close. :thefinger:
Your advice is golden :thefinger:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I try and remember to use mine about twice a month so the whole thing doesn't seize up. I found out the hard way once that when you never use it, and then you really, really need it..... let's say for an emergency, it won't work.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
e- brake shoes are cheap, you can change them in the drive way with a jack, 21mm lug wrench, 19mm socket, and a pair of pliers.

You need a screw driver and a 10mm wrench to adjust them.

Now the park pawl, that entails dropping the drive shaft(s for 4x4) rear section of transmission at least(transfer case if 4x4), then maybe the output shaft(if the park gear is also worn.

I would stick to the parking brake.

I am manual and always use the parking brake and first or reverse depending on which will roll against compression.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
e- brake shoes are cheap, you can change them in the drive way with a jack, 21mm lug wrench, 19mm socket, and a pair of pliers.

You need a screw driver and a 10mm wrench to adjust them.

Now the park pawl, that entails dropping the drive shaft(s for 4x4) rear section of transmission at least(transfer case if 4x4), then maybe the output shaft(if the park gear is also worn.

I would stick to the parking brake.

I am manual and always use the parking brake and first or reverse depending on which will roll against compression.
Thank you Nizmut, that's what I needed to know. I know that it's not going to be messed up after backing out with it on twice. I go into Mexico a lot and the roads are not as regulated as ours are, especially in the older areas. Most roads are made along with the groove of the hills instead of having been paved level like we do here. So I need to know I have the knowledge enough to check it out myself and fix it or whatever in case of anything because we park at extreme grades sometimes, but mostly since the truck is small I can fit in someone's driveway for a while. Lol. Wish I could find a pic to show you guys.. your jaws would just drop. Lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts