Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dynomax muffler anyone with experience welcome, added pics

what's up guys I found a muffler on online (local) for only 60 bucks. brand new but I can't narrow down the exact size or part number. The seller says it's, single 3'' in-let duel 2 1/4'' out-let. The only muffler on their website with those exact sizes has the in-let off center. The seller says the in-let is in the middle. here is the part number I found 17228 I think this is it, 17740

I guess I'll find out how it sounds when I put it on. I think dynomax is pretty similar to magnaflow.
Do you think it will drone in the cab? the muffler body is only 14'' long.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Changing out your muffler always runs the risk of having drone on anything smaller than a V8 in my experience.
I think it comes down to how much drone you can stand really.

Do you know the overall size of the muffler? (Length x width x height/thickness).
From what I know bigger is better for a more mellow tone.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I threw in a 14 straight through magnaflow on the 2000 fronty 3.3 v6 and it was super quite im thinkin its going to be ok

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with Dynomax part number WLK-17714 from Summit for like $30. Just replaced the factory muffler with this one. Has a little drone but not bad at all. All in all i'm very happy with it. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I have the Dynomax catback kit (2.5"? single in/out). There can be some drone at times but its not annoying. Overall, I still prefer it to stock.

YouTube - nissan frontier Dynomax
YouTube - Nissan Frontier snow climb
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f11/just-ordered-dynomax-exhaust-system-22295/
Same here. And with how cheap it was and considering that it replaced the y-pipe (unlike some of the other "cat-back" systems out there), I'm very happy with it!

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
I've used the Dynomax Ultraflo ss on pretty much every vehicle ever owned. Best sounding muffler imo. There was some decent amount of drone when i first put it on. after putting some miles on it though, it has quieted down a lot. From what i've heard, the dynomax has a bit louder and deeper sound than the magnaflow. Magnaflows have a higher pitch and sounds ricer-ish and definitely does not match the truck..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^ I sure do hate ricy sound. I am picking it up tonight and if the wife lets me sat going to get it welded in. there will have to be new pipes from the muffler back since its duel out-lets. if there is a lot of drone I will add some resonators in a few months when I get a new y-pipe. funny thing is I am trying to do this stuff at the same time paying for my wedding in Oct 09. Wife is not so excited about buying truck parts lol.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
curious.. could be wrong but I thought these mufflers could be installed in either direction. Since it has a dual on one side, is it possible to use that as the inlet and have new individual pipes from the cats to each of the inlets to eliminate the Y-pipe? Then have a single 3" outlet to the rear?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just pick up the muffler in the box for 40 bucks. I am will ask dynomax if I can weld it in either normal or backwords. Im trying to sneak in the muffler shop this sat am before the woman gets home from work at 1pm lol

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have the 'ultraflow', looks like you will be installing the 'super turbo' so I don't know how the two compare. Your muffler shop should know whether or not it can be installed backwards.
Give it a week or three to break in and see if you like the sound. You may be able to hide the install but the wife will probably be aware of when you arrive home from now on. ha

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to the shop in the morning when they open, if the price is right I will have it on by mid day : )

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i have a ultra flow. the difference between this and a turbo back is the ultra flow is straight thru. it doesnt sound straight pipy though. a little more money but the quality is better. its getting a little louder as it gets more broken in. had it for about 10000 miles now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts