Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having my truck dyno'd, hopefully next friday. I am looking to accomplish the
following.

1) Settling the debate over this AIRBOX MOD i am going out on a limb and saying the airbox mod gives an extra 3- 4 HP

2) Seeing how much power it really makes as mods are added.

The Truck will already have a Custom exhaust and a Electric fan so the baseline
will not be from a stock truck. I am buying 2 hours of dyno time and will be adding
and testing the following items in the following order.

baseline with exhaust, E fan and stock airbox

exhaust,E fan and airbox mod

exhaust, E fan, airbox mod, Airaid TBS

exhaust, E fan, Airaid TBS, aFe intake

Reverend Biker had his Frontier put out 235.4 hp at the rear wheels. Allowing for
a 20% driveline drop thats put his at 294 horsepower at the crank. His truck had
an aFe intake and a Gibson catback. With those items and an Efan and TBs i hope to
gain another 15 -20 rear wheel horsepower. I am told the Efan should
free up close to 15 Hp if the TBS gives it 4 HP i should see 250-255 RWHP or 315-320
at the crankshaft.

Does this seem doable to anyone here?

what Easters all about <><

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It's my understanding the TBS won't add any HP, however, it may add some torque! It will be interesting to see exactly what the Dyno shows it to add if anything! I for one certainly appreciate you taking the time and money to do these tests! I think this type of information is what makes these forums priceless! Thanks for your contributions!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
He had a thread on this forum with pics, but it must have been lost during one of the hacks! The electric fan replaces the fan that's attached to the front of the engine that's used to cool the radiator. The stock fan is driven by the fan belt that creates drag on the engine, thus robbing it of power. The electric fan is just that, it's run by electricity and is activated by a thermostat. Being as it cools by using an electric motor there is no added drag on the engine, thus the engine produces more power! Most front wheel drive cars on the road today use an electric fan because most have the engine mounted sideways!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Didn't know that about the fan. Learn something new everyday. I don't think removing it would gain 15-20 WHP though. I'll be checking back for the results though.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
njgsx96 said:
Didn't know that about the fan. Learn something new everyday. I don't think removing it would gain 15-20 WHP though. I'll be checking back for the results though.
Removing the fan and fan clutch takes about 12 pounds of rotating mass off the
crankshaft. Removing the fan stops the drag on the engine from the fan blades.
The higher the engine revs the greater the benifit. It stands to reason on higher
reving engines(like ours) the benifits should be better than that of a slower turning V8.

guys that know (years of hot rodding) say on an engine with 265 HP a 10-15
horse increase is not out of the question. If the fan gives 10-15 hp and the TBS
any at all I will be a happy guy. I am also told i can expect better milage as well with the
Fan mod.

·
Registered
56 Posts
xtrememtbkr said:
guys that know (years of hot rodding) say on an engine with 265 HP a 10-15
horse increase is not out of the question. If the fan gives 10-15 hp and the TBS
any at all I will be a happy guy. I am also told i can expect better milage as well with the
Fan mod.
Well if guys that know told you, it must be true. Like I said, I hope you get the dyno time on Friday and I'll be looking forward to seeing your results. I hope you hit your numbers and get the better mileage to boot. Nothing better than watching your mods add up to a fast car AND better mileage!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, please make sure to post your results on the Efan! This is a totally cool design and mod that I would be interested in adding if you get tangible HP increase from it.

On a side note, anyone know if there will be a super chip coming out for the Frontier sometime this year? If so, what is the cost of something like this, as well as, the HP boost?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have emailed about every company regarding this and the replies are all the same:

no applications for your vehicle are available at this time and none are planned at this time.

There are some companies where you could remove the computer board and send it in to let them try and reprogram it. (sounds scary if you ask me.)

Xtrememtbkr
Oh by the way, thanks ahead of time for getting those results to us.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When are those results getting posted again? I'm dying here, this mod is totally cool.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I think he's doing it tomorrow, if I remember correctly! I'm thinking that e-fan may be a generic application and not specific to any one brand. It probably has more to do with the diminsions of the radiator.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the E fan is on and it works great. the throttle responce is FABULOUS. if i hold the brakes
and rev it and launch there is no noticable difference. However when driving it
around town or passing the acceleration as you "roll it on" is awesome.

it is impossible to tell there is a electric fan on it,except for a few wires you can't see it.
so there is not much point in posting pix. it took 7 hours for my dealer to install it
(he charged me for 4.5) but he said the next time it would be faster. this is NOT a job
for an inexperienced person to try

would i reccomend it...i don't know its an expensive mod. if i get the milage increase i expect
( i will report on that saturday) i would definately say do it.

i have a dyno appointment on monday and will post the results when i return home.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
fans are good for about 8 horse depending on how hot the motor is, at least thats been my experiances!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chargedup05 said:
When are those results getting posted again? I'm dying here, this mod is totally cool.
its going on the dyno in 4 hours. will post the results as soon as i can.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have noticed that most modern vehicles, irrespective of transverse or longitudinal engine mounting, have an electric fan. The exception is trucks (haven't looked at vans though). I have always felt that there must be a practical reason for this. Since car manufacturers get taxed more heavily for less fuel efficient vehicles, and the efan is cheap and proven technology, then there must be some reason why trucks still get a crank-mounted fan. Can anyone shed some light on this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts