Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people do the relocation and stuff, but i could get a duralast knock sensor for the same price (ish). Is this a viable alternative? Exactly where is the knock sensor located anyway? Thanks in advance and sorry about my noobiness
AutoZone.com | Vehicle Selection | Year

·
Registered
755 Posts
it goes in the same place as stock. i believe its on the side of the block, i wouldn't change from OEM though cause alot of aftermarket sensor are not built to the same specs and can cause problems.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Nope, not on the side. It's located on top the engine block. You must take off all the stuff on top. Upper and lower air intake.

I'd just get OEM

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, get oem. would i be better off just replacing my knock sensor and be done with it? im not a huge fan of the relocation mod due to the wiring (as in i dont want to re wire stuff)

·
Registered
337 Posts
ok, get oem. would i be better off just replacing my knock sensor and be done with it? im not a huge fan of the relocation mod due to the wiring (as in i dont want to re wire stuff)
I used to feel the same way, but I have since changed my mind. I have the Maxima wiring harness and knock sensor. I just have to go find a bolt, washer and a soldering (sp?) gun. I've already located the wires, and found the hole they say to put it on. It's actually pretty easy from the looks of it. AND its a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to replace if/when the new knock sensor goes bad again. Maybe if you live nearby someone else, they might help you with it, for maybe a 6 pack of beer?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I must jump in here. nutsandbolts, when you say "when the new knock sensor goes bad again" What do you mean? You are making me feel like a shouldnt have just spent four hundred $$$$ on a new one installed in the factory location. I too was going to relocate but thought it would be better off the the factory location... Was i wrong????

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry, I should have put "when or if" it goes bad again. Some people say that the heat from being down there might be what causes the knock sensor to go bad. With the time it takes to replace it in the stock location, and the heat possibly being what causes it to go bad a little quicker, I decided that I want to relocate mine.

Let me ask you a question in return... Did you notice improvements once you replaced yours? Better gas mileage? More power? lower RPM?

·
Registered
65 Posts
YES! all of the above. Better gas milage, and more power were the main things. The reason i asked in the first place was, i did a little wheelin last weekend as the snow melted. After i got home i noticed some loss of low end power. I will hook it up to a computer tomarow and check for the code. If its bad again so soon i will be p_ssed off. I this full on thread jacking or wut?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts