Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just opened my volant #12540 "sealed" NOT!!! intake. think i seen it mentioned somewhere but it looks like Volant just took a hot knife + cut a big hole in the lower corner for the horns on my 2011!! looked at a lot of pics + descriptions from various sellers + never seen this. glad i bought from Amazon!!! easy no cost returns!!! glad i bought from Amazon!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am going to contact Volant by phone, the cutout + box looked NEW!! any site i checked never allows viewing the box from angles, remember reading about a cutout in the many posts trying to decide. pics are surely generic as one shows the little air scoop + others not but a closed offset near the bottom. i like the Stillen but want a new tube as well along with a closed box!! as noted Amazon is the greatest if you need a return. this was shipped from new level motor sports. while researching i seen + ordered the redline strut kit for the hood also from amazon!!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Early volant CAI were “sealed” boxes. They updated the box with the cut specifically to avoid relocating the horns. Really wasn’t a big deal to me, since “cooler” air is fed from that cutout anyways. Might get the filter dirty quicker, but no biggie with a routine filter cleaning.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my beef is they HIDE that cut!!! talked to Volant today + as stated its a cutout for the horn, rather than a costly redesign. as i said looked at lots of pics + read descriptions + never a mention of this. give the buyer ALL the facts, so they can decide if they want the very unsealed airbox or the earlier model that requires horn relocation!!! had a Volant on my 08 colorado, nice box good fit no issues. if there were other options for a closed box other than the overpriced few + the Stillen without the tube i would get one, so it looks like the 12640 will be the one!!

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
just opened my volant #12540 "sealed" NOT!!! intake. think i seen it mentioned somewhere but it looks like Volant just took a hot knife + cut a big hole in the lower corner for the horns on my 2011!! looked at a lot of pics + descriptions from various sellers + never seen this. glad i bought from Amazon!!! easy no cost returns!!! glad i bought from Amazon!!!
Good choice to purchase through Amazon.

Yeah when the horns were relocated, that was Volant's "official fix" - just chop a hole underneath... ghetto fix really for what they expect you to pay for their intake system.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as i noted in another post its not just the poor fix they applied but the fact that its not shown or noted anywhere!!! even seen pics with an offset down low but still a sealed box. called Volant + they confirmed thats their fix, so its the 12640 + move the horns, + he said the scoop is included but i will prolly block it off, prolly a 3" round outlet so either a cap or cut flush + pop rivet a cover over it!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as noted glad i ordered from amazon, free return with ship label printed from e-mail, ordered the 12640 + it shipped from the same place newlevelperformance.com as well as the last one from amazon. it just stinks how volant hides the hack job, it is what it is, let the buyer decide!!

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Did you opt for oiled or dry filter? Same price for either filter?

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
I returned the Volant for my 2006 Pathfinder and went with the aFe Momentum CAI with a dry filter. It's a bit expensive, but it's a really nice CAI! Has a window on the top so you can see the air filter in the box. It has a ram air opening in the front but comes with a rubber plug if you want to block it off.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Early volant CAI were “sealed” boxes. They updated the box with the cut specifically to avoid relocating the horns. Really wasn’t a big deal to me, since “cooler” air is fed from that cutout anyways. Might get the filter dirty quicker, but no biggie with a routine filter cleaning.
the real issue with the cutout is for offroading. deep water crossings. And for those that want to run a snorkel that's a big thing...

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
I returned the Volant for my 2006 Pathfinder and went with the aFe Momentum CAI with a dry filter. It's a bit expensive, but it's a really nice CAI! Has a window on the top so you can see the air filter in the box. It has a ram air opening in the front but comes with a rubber plug if you want to block it off.
I like that one too, but I can find other places to spend $450 and get more out of my money haha

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
horn relocate is easy, only 2 wires + i have the connectors with solder in them + they heat shrink as well. buying them locally is a $$$ but i got a lot of them for a little on E-bay from overseas, prolly same as the rebranded ones for less. as noted not using the scoop allowed easy mounting next to the air box, why remove grill if not necessary!! horns are well protected as well!!

·
Premium Member
7,268 Posts
horn relocate is easy, only 2 wires + i have the connectors with solder in them + they heat shrink as well. buying them locally is a $$$ but i got a lot of them for a little on E-bay from overseas, prolly same as the rebranded ones for less. as noted not using the scoop allowed easy mounting next to the air box, why remove grill if not necessary!! horns are well protected as well!!
...and behind the headlight and radiator support!!!!! so it's not as loud as if it's behind the grill!!!! which is still protected!!!!! but louder becuase now it's outside the engine bay!!!!!!!! and why buy an extra connector if you're going to solder anyways!!!!! YAY

::grin::

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
connectors i mentioned are easily done with a heat gun, just push bare wires in like a typical butt connector + heat!!! solder + shrink in one, but being picky i put heat shrink on it + a plastic sleeve like OE!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts