Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some new struts installed about 6 months ago now and have been dealing with a horrific front end squeak when going over small bumps/rough or washboarded roads. After addressing nearly everything that is mentioned in these forums (hood stops, hood latch, sway bar bushings/links, UCA bushings, etc.) I was just about to give up and just go with the fact that maybe the struts are squeaky. However, the other day when I was changing my air filter I looked down and noticed that the washer below the spring seat nut was off center and rubbing against the metal of the upper shock mount:

(hard to see but you can see that it is non-concentric). After a quick hit with some silicone everything kept blissfully quiet for a few blocks.

I am assuming this is caused because the shop that installed the struts over-torqued that nut? If so, can I back that nut off, move the washer, and re-torque to spec without messing up installation of the strut/wheel alignment? Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
good eye to spot that. try jacking up the truck and loosen the 3 nuts there. there should be enough "slop" in the holes to shimmy it over a tad.

Reactions: Dark Night 18

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Ya, no, do not take the nut over the washer off. Extreme pressure on that. Could be dangerous.
I agree with previous post. Losen the 3 nuts and tap it over a hair. Good luck and be careful.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It shouldn’t be from over torquing. Honestly, if its torqued correctly the rubber isolator underneath should balloon out a little bit and if anything touches the metal sides of the middle hole in your upper coil bucket it should be the rubber.

Has the truck had any modifications or issues with alignment?

as others have stated you could try loosening the three nuts and shifting it over. Sometimes grit/dirt/sand will get pinched between the top hat and the bucket as well and I have heard of that causing squeaking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I will give that a try.

Not_Lost, yes the truck is modified. ~2" suspension lift front a rear, Ironman 4x4 struts and SPC UCAs. I had issues getting the truck aligned, but did find a shop recently that put it into pretty decent alignment. It still has the tiniest bit of passenger side pull, but it's hardly noticeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts