Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the correct way to take my 2017 Frontier out of 4wd? This is how I currently do it, stop, put in park, foot off brake, switch from 4wd to 2wd, then drive until the 4wd light stops flashing. I couldn't find anything that tells me different, or anything for that matter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not a dumb question. If you're already moving, just switch from 4H to 2H and let off gas. It should switch. If you're in 4L, you'll need have your foot on the brake.

Just FYI though, shouldn't drive on dry pavement. It causes binding in the driveline and can damage things. This is for pretty much any 4wd vehicle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a dumb question. If you're already moving, just switch from 4H to 2H and let off gas. It should switch. If you're in 4L, you'll need have your foot on the brake.

Just FYI though, shouldn't drive on dry pavement. It causes binding in the driveline and can damage things. This is for pretty much any 4wd vehicle.
I always stop to do the transition, I've only used it on the roads with snow and ice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I always stop to do the transition, I've only used it on the roads with snow and ice.
You don't have to if you don't want, read it's safe up to 62 mph. I personally don't shift it at that speed or really even use 4wd above about 30 mph.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Okay, so the front drive train is always spinning all the way back to the transfer case as there are not hubs to engage on the 2nd gen frontier. So as long as you keep up with tire rotations (even that doesn't matter if the road is snowy or icy really) shift into or out of 4x4 any time you are not spinning. You may have to goose it or drop the throttle or even possibly tap the brakes to get the transfer case gears aligned but I shift pretty much at any speed. Probably done it at 70 or greater, no issue AS LONG AS YOU'RE NOT SPINNING as then it would make noise (been there, done that).

I lived in snow states my whole life (except for a 4 month stint in commiefornia and 6 weeks in Texass for basic and other training, wouldn't live in either place by choice!) and driven this frontier for over 100,000 miles now with no issue. If it was a vehicle with disengaging or auto hubs where the front drivetrain is not spinning then I would definitely slow way down, Nissan Frontier, nah engage 4x4 whenever and do the throttle to get the light to change if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts