Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
JIm Wolf

So after 8 years of driving my fronty ,, I still do not like the way this truck shifts ,, I have two other manual shift trucks and a few Motorcycles also that shift and drive/ride perfectly.... I've always found that the Nissan was hard to drive NORMALLY. Like just rowing throu the gears at a nice easy RPM.. because it seems like forever for the rpms to come down in between shifts.. I've always thought this was due to the Dual Mass flywheel?? oh sure if I bang shift the hell out of it its seemless and perfect... but i don't always want to drive my truck like that.. perhaps an ECM flash would help ?? I dunno ,I've just lived with it.. oh and I'm still using the same Clutch since it was new 102,000 KMS ago , and counting.
I plan to switch to a JIm wolf set-up, once the original fails.

MAC in PG
I'm with you Mac, the shifting in these trucks is terrible. Takes way too long to spool down, so you have to draw out the shift throw maneuver. Furthermore the clutch feel is non existent. I'm trying to sort this out myself, I think it is a combination of the DMF, which may be heavy to begin with as well as sprung, the assist springs on the pedal (disconnect the hydraulics and check it out) and possibly a clutch delay/damper valve, which may or may not exist. Trying to get to the bottom of that.

-Hank

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the same problem - 65,000 on a 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X and going on the 4th clutch (been driving manuals since 1978 and a licensed commercial truck driver too). Just do mostly city driving with it.
I killed my first one at 7k and the second at 22k. My only guess is that the total lack of pedal feel meant that I was slipping too much at every shift. I switched to a centerforce clutch and adjusted my driving style. I'm now at 50k (total) on the centerforce, and it's holding together, but I still can't stand the feel of it.

Hank

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
The hanging revs is from the the engine management/ECU and for emissions' reasons.
Perhaps a performance tune might be a more practical/fundamental approach? IDK

Nearing 69k on factory clutch here...zero issues thus far.

Here's an Australian clutch company I found, but have never heard peep about:
Nissan Frontier Clutch Kit | Nissan Frontier Performance & Racing Clutch

·
Registered
576 Posts
Underdrive crank pulley will get rid of the rev hang. It's not from the ecm/engine management. It's the rotating mass on the crank.
Lightweight flywheel will also eliminate it

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a question, I converted my 2005 to manual, and the pedal pressure feels weak as opposed to my Hardbody and my old Maxima.

Why is the clutch pedal return spring not providing more pedal pressure from the user? I know there are no air pockets I. My hydraulic lines as I bled it several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
There are 2 springs on the pedal, make sure they are both there. I had one break on me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, after the original/new 2011 Nissan OEM duel-mass flywheel and clutch died, and two more sets after that (about every 20,000 miles) that's 3-sets by about 66,000 miles total - last year I got Jim Wolfe conversion kit (from California, USA), and had my local AAMCO transmission shop install it - ~ $1,300 total, last year. I've only owned manuals since 1978, so I know how to shift, etc before getting this truck!!!

Still going strong and loving the truck now with the Jim Wolfe conversion kit installed!!!!

Reactions: ef9

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well, after the original/new 2011 Nissan OEM duel-mass flywheel and clutch died, and two more sets after that (about every 20,000 miles) that's 3-sets by about 66,000 miles total - last year I got Jim Wolfe conversion kit (from California, USA), and had my local AAMCO transmission shop install it - ~ $1,300 total, last year. I've only owned manuals since 1978, so I know how to shift, etc before getting this truck!!!

Still going strong and loving the truck now with the Jim Wolfe conversion kit installed!!!!
With the single mass flywheel, is there more pedal pressure required to depress the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
With the single mass flywheel, is there more pedal pressure required to depress the clutch pedal?

Feels to me now like a normal truck (like my 5-spd manual 1996 Ford Explorer was, which this Nissan Frontier replaced), no extra effort pedal pressure issues for me.

If anything, the single mass flywheel setup is a bit more "responsive" than the POS dual-mass flywheel was with it's 11 degrees spring rotation gizmo between the dual-masses of the Nissan OEM flywheel to make things smoother theory...

·
Registered
576 Posts
You will get noise with the single mass and a little vibration

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not if it was installed correctly.. And you can just call it a flywheel, the "single mass" is unnecessary as it been called a flywheel since the 1800's..................lol

·
Registered
576 Posts
You will almost always get noise on these when you replace it with a single mass flywheel. That is literally why they came with dual mass, to eliminate the noise and vibration.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I don't seem to get any more noise or vibration with my single-mass Jim Wolfe conversion kit. In fact, the JW flywheel is half the weight of the Nissan OEM's.

I think the dual-mass design was to help people less coordinated have a easier time getting out of 1st gear with less chance of stalling.

Many 18-wheeler Tractor-trailer manufacturers had them and got rid of them because so many failed.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sorry but that's simply not true. The reason for using dual over single mass is purely NVH reduction

21 - 34 of 34 Posts