Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :hi:,
I am an Australian living in Thailand and I own a 2009 Nissan Calibre. I must say I am very happy with it and it suits Thailand's road conditions well. Thai drivers are notorious for the way they drive and so its handy to have the Nissan truck for a number of reasons.
Firstly, its easy to be seen by other road users, particularly motor cycles. Here big is respected above all else on the road. The average vehicle here is a pick up so I felt it was safer to not have a vehicle which was smaller than the average vehicle.
Secondly, the roads are not well maintained as they are chopped up by large trucks. Even on the major highways there can be nasty surprises in the road conditions, such as large holes or bumps. The large wheels help with a smooth ride.
Thirdly, I do a fair bit of highway travel and the Calibre's long legs in sixth gear make it a pleasure to drive.
Lastly, I find the visibility from the height of the Calibre an advantage, because I can see what's going on better. Thais will surprise you with erratic driving, sometimes unbelievably crazy, so visibility is crucial for safety.
So far I am very happy with the new Nissan Calibre. The only criticism I have is the horn is a bit under par and sounds like a toy, so I added some beef to that with two extra horns, mainly because its needed here for safety due to some of the oblivious drivers on the road. Also, the large turning circle of the Calibre can be difficult on Thailand's u-turn set up on highways, and it can make things difficult in some of the tight roads in the villages.
For Thailand, two wheel drive is fine for general travel.
Well thats all folks for now, I may post some travel pix later. I am heading north to the Mekong River tomorrow, and later in the week I am heading south again to the eastern seaboard between Pattaya and Rayong.
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey, welcome. Thailand is such a beautiful country. I was there for 2 weeks in the summer of 04. I was Chang Mai, and 2 hours north of there in the mountains in a traibal village in Northern Thailand. The name of the village slips my mind right now. People in the city do drive crazy especaily in Bankok, I'd love to go back there. Have fun man, post pictures
Cheers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your welcoming messages. I have driven to Nong Kai to do a visa run in Laos. A very smooth trip and the Nissan was a great ride. We hit a few pot holes left by trucks in the left lane, thats when I was thankful for the high ride and big tyres. I think the Calibre is ideal for Thai open roads. Recently we have used the Nissan to move all our junk to Ban Chang on the Eastern seaboard of Thailand, and the truck rides better with a bit of gear in the back. Wow! I have logged up 5000k in Thailand already...I will post more pix soon....
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
We get it, asians don't know how to drive... ha-ha. Welcome to the site.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, welcome. Thailand is such a beautiful country. I was there for 2 weeks in the summer of 04. I was Chang Mai, and 2 hours north of there in the mountains in a traibal village in Northern Thailand. The name of the village slips my mind right now. People in the city do drive crazy especaily in Bankok, I'd love to go back there. Have fun man, post pictures
Cheers.
:hi: You are welcome anytime zerobird...Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Welcome. What do your emblems look like?
:hi: Well, there's a Calibre sticker on the side of the tray. There is a pic in my gallery. I think it could have been flashier from the factory, but its ok. I like the front end however. Cheers, Greg

Take pics of hot asians!
:hi: There's just too many...
Cheers, Greg

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts