Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2 piece driveshaft. Well, I noticed that the driveshaft support, which is a bearing that connects the two pieces has dry rotted. I thought I had a problem with my clutch at first, since it felt like it was slipping. Couldn't really make it up a small inclined driveway and every time I hit a bump in the road my engine would rev. Even starting out I have to feather the gas until I finally get into gear. I recently put blocks in the rear and my axle shifted on me. I'm thinking that the front and rear drive shaft have moved and that is causing me to not fully engage into gear. The center support is about $250, so is a new clutch, which should I try first? Or is there a one piece drive shaft for my 99 4wd v6?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have decided to try a new driveshaft first. I found a one-piece that will work for $125. I'm going against my gut here, only because it needs to be done anyhow. I just tried to back out of my parking spot, it did ok backing up a few feet. I had to push it back up to go anywere. I can completely let off the clutch and give it gas in first gear and it still won't move. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Well, what would happen if you uninstall the DS and apply the parking brake. Then start the truck and put it in gear and see if the output shaft rotates on the trans. Your problem may still be the clutch or something else in that area. Also, since you are a manual, have you tried to change the trans fluid. It may be worth a shot so that you can see if there are any metal shavings or chunks in it. May be even worth to drop the pan and give it a good look over.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I'm attempting to do now. The four bolts at the end are being a pain. Had to come back in out of the heat. I do plan on changing the fluid this weekend if the ds doesn't fix the problem. I do know that the synchros are messed up. Shifting into 3rd will grind if I don't allow it to be in neutral for a moment, allowing the engine to rev down, then shift.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts