Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ran into the issue involving the driver side SPC UCA not fitting on the front control arm mount. It does state in the instruction that it may not fit 2015 and up and they tell you to get a slot punch to slot the hole upwards. That slot punch is over $300. Just wondering if anybody came up with a solution to that.

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well don't leave us hanging! How'd you do the workaround in case someone else runs into the same issue? Glad ya got it fixed.

Reactions: shift_RUSH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well don't leave us hanging! How'd you do the workaround in case someone else runs into the same issue? Glad ya got it fixed.
I had to nip out about a 1/4" of the rear of the front UCA frame pocket.so it would slide in. I wasn't doing it the SPC way. In the instruction it says that 2015 and up are prone to reduced factory clearance in the drivers side front UCA frame pocket. SPC says to slot the hole outward so it would fit with a $350 slot punch. Nope...LOL

·
Registered
2017 Frontier SV V6 4x4 auto, CC
64 Posts
You probably don’t have pictures of where you had to modify do you? I’ve got my drivers side front end apart right now, having a hell of a time getting the steering column bolt undone. Good to know I’ve got another road block coming, I vaguely remember reading about an issue getting the SPC arm in. Got my lower cam bolts in, took some time but the other side should be quicker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You probably don’t have pictures of where you had to modify do you? I’ve got my drivers side front end apart right now, having a hell of a time getting the steering column bolt undone. Good to know I’ve got another road block coming, I vaguely remember reading about an issue getting the SPC arm in. Got my lower cam bolts in, took some time but the other side should be quicker.
If your referring to the rear bolt on the UCA frame , I cut that bolt off with a sawzall instead of messing with the steering column. After you cut it, put the bolt in the other way. If you are using SPC UCA they should have come with another bolt especially for that reason. Just FYI in case you want to do it that way.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
yeah, grinder work bro, glad you figured it out. I took a bit of the spc knuckle down and slid it right in

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
really? that steering column bolt came right out for me, like 20lbs of force, and to get to the bolt all I had to do was bend the fender plastic out of the way a bit

·
Registered
64 Posts
really? that steering column bolt came right out for me, like 20lbs of force, and to get to the bolt all I had to do was bend the fender plastic out of the way a bit
Yup attacked it with PB and an impact and it won’t budge at all. Cut it off, there are some hard brake lines kinda in the way to get the rear new bolt back in but I think I can get it. How did you guys get the front of the SPC uca in? SPC says the holes may need to be “slotted outward” which means nothing to me. Like reem out the hole? That doesn’t seem like a good idea

·
Registered
64 Posts
I should rephrase that, gave up on the steering column and cut the rear uca bolt. I’m trying to dremel the front “pocket” for clearance but not getting anywhere. I really don’t like the idea of drilling the bracket holes larger like it appears SPC recommends

·
Registered
815 Posts
I should rephrase that, gave up on the steering column and cut the rear uca bolt. I’m trying to dremel the front “pocket” for clearance but not getting anywhere. I really don’t like the idea of drilling the bracket holes larger like it appears SPC recommends
As far as disconnecting the steering column shaft, she makes it look easy with the right tools. (She's ASE Certified by the way):

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Yup attacked it with PB and an impact and it won’t budge at all. Cut it off, there are some hard brake lines kinda in the way to get the rear new bolt back in but I think I can get it. How did you guys get the front of the SPC uca in? SPC says the holes may need to be “slotted outward” which means nothing to me. Like reem out the hole? That doesn’t seem like a good idea
Rather than grinding on my truck (the expensive hard to repair piece) I grinded the spc arm itself. It's really thick, I wasn't worried about it, and I only needed maybe a 1/16th of an inch off of it. Then, I painted it.

Reactions: Lemuel

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rather than grinding on my truck (the expensive hard to repair piece) I grinded the spc arm itself. It's really thick, I wasn't worried about it, and I only needed maybe a 1/16th of an inch off of it. Then, I painted it.
That’s what I ended up doing too. I had to grind both knuckles to finally get the bushings to line up. Does the same thing need to be done on the passenger side? I know it says in the SPC directions that it’s the drivers side only.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
That’s what I ended up doing too. I had to grind both knuckles to finally get the bushings to line up. Does the same thing need to be done on the passenger side? I know it says in the SPC directions that it’s the drivers side only.
I did the drivers side first too, and it made me a little apprehensive of doing the second one because of that, lol, but the passengers side had zero dramas and lined up perfectly

Reactions: Lemuel

·
Registered
21' Frontier CC. RC coilovers, shackles & shocks. SPC uca's. 265/70r18 Pathfinder A/T.
22 Posts
I had to nip out about a 1/4" of the rear
I had to nip out about a 1/4" of the rear of the front UCA frame pocket...
What did you use to nip?... i am in the same boat and need more than i can reasonably get from grinding the arm.
I am thinkin sawsall the top half inch or so of both sides of the back of pocket and knock it back to make room.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What did you use to nip?... i am in the same boat and need more than i can reasonably get from grinding the arm.
I am thinkin sawsall the top half inch or so of both sides of the back of pocket and knock it back to make room.
I used a dremel to try and make room, and I had to grind both knuckles pretty good to finally get the bolt in. Even then it was a struggle.

·
Registered
21' Frontier CC. RC coilovers, shackles & shocks. SPC uca's. 265/70r18 Pathfinder A/T.
22 Posts
I was able to cut and knock back the pocket and bolt went right in. Dont like that I had to cut the pocket but a 1/4 inch hopefully won't hurt anything... plus if I am grinding coil bucket, why stop there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Painted afterwards and good to go. Extra scratches because apparently I suck.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Painted afterwards and good to go. Extra scratches because apparently I suck.

...bro, 20 seconds with a grinder on the spc arm itself would have saved you hacking up your mount. I hope it's painted well and doesn't get weak over time. It doesn't seem like an easy thing to replace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts