Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in, when I slide out of the vehicle the shift in weight applies pressure to the back-plate, which pushes out on the small (vertical) knob that adjusts the seat back. "Zing" there it went!

Thankfully I heard it and looked and retrieved the knob. It popped back on with a definite click, but now I'm suspicious.

The upshot is that another Frontier I looked at with power seats was missing both knobs (which as a negative tic mark re that vehicle)m, so I'm thinking this may be a common issue.

Short of Gorilla glue, is there a trick to securing those knobs for sake of function, appearance, and peace of mind?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
As in, when I slide out of the vehicle the shift in weight applies pressure to the back-plate, which pushes out on the small (vertical) knob that adjusts the seat back. "Zing" there it went!

Thankfully I heard it and looked and retrieved the knob. It popped back on with a definite click, but now I'm suspicious.

The upshot is that another Frontier I looked at with power seats was missing both knobs (which as a negative tic mark re that vehicle)m, so I'm thinking this may be a common issue.

Short of Gorilla glue, is there a trick to securing those knobs for sake of function, appearance, and peace of mind?

Thanks in advance!
You have to exit the truck without sliding off the seat, you will also ruin the seat foam and possibly tear the fabric

Clint

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense intended, but I'm not going to jump out of the truck. It would be helpful if there were a grab handle on the driver's side, but that is not the case.

So, it seems a combination of slide over slightly, turn, and get a foot on the ground will be the unavoidable maneuver given my age and level of agility.

Surely I am not the first to ask about the knobs?

·
Registered
605 Posts
No offense intended, but I'm not going to jump out of the truck. It would be helpful if there were a grab handle on the driver's side, but that is not the case.

So, it seems a combination of slide over slightly, turn, and get a foot on the ground will be the unavoidable maneuver given my age and level of agility.

Surely I am not the first to ask about the knobs?
  • Was this the first time the knob popped off?
  • Have you used the adjustment knob many times, especially when the door is closed?

The reason I ask is over time and with the way you get out of the vehicle the knob may have just worked loose.

I also did a quick search on this forum and didn't see any other occurrences of the knob flying off.
My Pro has manual adjustment and does have a grab bar on both sides. Rarely use them to get in and out of the vehicle. The steering wheel does fine for me.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the knob has popped off twice.

For the previous 28 years I’ve driven Ford Rangers. Granted I’m newly in a different truck, with different ergonomics and controls, and size and height configurations, so the fix will certainly include an adjustment in entry / exit technique.

Nonetheless, I’m thinking perhaps a bit of Teflon tape might help snug it tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
Actually, the knob has popped off twice.

For the previous 28 years I’ve driven Ford Rangers. Granted I’m newly in a different truck, with different ergonomics and controls, and size and height configurations, so the fix will certainly include an adjustment in entry / exit technique.

Nonetheless, I’m thinking perhaps a bit of Teflon tape might help snug it tight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Actually it would be better to pop off than to break off. If your seat is comfortably adjusted can you leave it off or is the stem sticking out something that can hurt you? Once my seat is in place I never touch it.

Clint

Reactions: basketcase

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually it would be better to pop off than to break off. If your seat is comfortably adjusted can you leave it off or is the stem sticking out something that can hurt you? Once my seat is in place I never touch it.

Clint
Hadn't thought of this, but leaving it off may be the best recourse. Said knob can then be stashed in inevitable bag of miscellaneous stuff I end up accumulating in very vehicle I've owned. And there are no injury factors or clothes snagging hazards involved.

My wife occasionally drives the vehicle (which always means readjusting several items), but the seat-back adjustment is still easily done without the knob proper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts