Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just recently my drivers side window started to get stuck in the down position, all the other windows work just fine, some times if i wiggle the switch just right or bang on the door panel i can get it to work.
So before i start ripping my door apart and ordering parts and goin through the process of elimination could any of you tell me whats wrong exactly?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
So just recently my drivers side window started to get stuck in the down position, all the other windows work just fine, some times if i wiggle the switch just right or bang on the door panel i can get it to work.
So before i start ripping my door apart and ordering parts and goin through the process of elimination could any of you tell me whats wrong exactly?

Thanks
What yr is your truck? First likely suspect is the door switch. Particularly since you can get it to work just by wiggling it. I'm going to assume a few things here and when you say wiggle you mean gently and when you say bang on panel you mean hard/vigorously...
Next thing I'd check is the condition of the wiring/connectors as its possible if your wiggling is more than just rocking the rocker back & forth you may be disturbing the wires/connector. You will want to get some contact cleaner & dielectric grease. You could also go old school and use rubbing alcohol (for a cleaner) or MAF cleaner spray.

REASON: carbon buildup on electrical contacts.

Its also possible that the spring contacts in the switch are just tired & worn out. That would require replacement.

Now if you are banging on the panel low on the door its possible that the window motor brushes are worn down or dead spots are burned into the motor. This would be similar to when a starter motor is going bad and you whack it with a hammer while holding the key in the START position...
Replacing hte window motor would be the last step both due to cost & frustration level to replace it. Its also the least likely.

TLDR: Clean out the switch & connector with spray. (If still bad) Then replace the switch. Then test out the wiring at the switch &motor, Then R&R the motor...

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Pretty common issue. For me it was the motor. Since I thought it might be I ordered the motor and assembly. Tore the door panel down and unplugged the motor. Turned the car ON and probed the plug with my volt meter. threw the switch and read 12volts. Threw the switch in the opposite direction read -12v. Switch good. Replaced motor assembly and everything was fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trucks and 07, thanks for all the advice, i did clean all the contacts in the door switch, put a meter on it and got 12, i was going to try to diagnose further but o'rielys had a whole motor/regulator assembly in stock for 65 bux, there was another well written "how to" write up on here that got me through the whole process in less than a half hour, problem solved.

thanks again for the post's and info

·
Registered
12 Posts
trucks and 07, thanks for all the advice, i did clean all the contacts in the door switch, put a meter on it and got 12, i was going to try to diagnose further but o'rielys had a whole motor/regulator assembly in stock for 65 bux, there was another well written "how to" write up on here that got me through the whole process in less than a half hour, problem solved.

thanks again for the post's and info
Where is that write up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts